Small Office CD Player?
post-202778
Post #1 of 4

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've found that I do more listening at work than at home these days. Business is good for our group and in the ealy evenings and Saturday mornings, I have the time and peace to strap on the 'phones and have at it.

I have plenty of options for 'phones and amps:
- HD600s or SR80s driven by a MAD Ear+
- STAX SR40s driven by an Advent 300

My CD player is a decent little 4 by 16 RCA portable (relatively speaking, this is an early unit that weighs about a pound!). It does not allow scanning within tracks nor will it work with home-burned CDs.

Can anyone recommend a small CD player that is a good match to the quality of the rest of my system if I decide to upgrade? It does not need to be portable, just small so it doesn't consume nuch space. Of course line outs are a must and scanning and the ability to play home burned CDs (no MP3 capability is required) would be nice features.

I am not interested in SONY products as I swore off them after a run of shoddy stuff that suffered, I felt, premature failures. Anything else is game.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

post-202781
Post #2 of 4

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Reaction score
Steve

I moved your thread into the Source Forum since that is what you are inquiring about.

post-202782
Post #3 of 4

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi JMT!

Thanks for the assist. Sorry about the errant post.

Very best regards,
Steve

post-202943
Post #4 of 4

Watchdog

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Steve, I was thinking isn't great sound overkill for listening while you're working?

Personally I find it difficult to concentrate if the sound quality is great, I just get lost in the music

Having said that if you can find one of the old Mission DAD-5's they're small for a home CD player and have very good sound.

New they were $500 Cdn. when they cleared them out about 6 - 8 years ago. I think list was about $700 Cdn.

I'm not sure what they go for used, but I would guess that $200 US might get you one.

If you want to go with a portable then maybe something that has a digital out and then maybe you could pick up a cheap DAC from Audiogon. Audio Alchemy always made good, inexpensive (relatively) DAC's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)