small mp3 player which used AA/AAA battery
Feb 19, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 18
What do you consider small?

Any DAP that uses AA or AAA batteries isn't going to be Nano-like thin. In so far as I know, the iRiver T10 series uses AAA batteries, and some of Cowon's players like the G3 uses batteries.

I have an iRiver iFP-795 which uses AA batteries. It is rugged, has long battery life, strong headphone output, but slow transfer speeds. Because of the replaceable battery, I expect it to outlive all my other DAPs.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 18
I really like my MuVo V100. It runs a surprisingly long time with 1000Mah NIMH AAA. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other players but it sounds good, its easy to use and its relatively cheap. It doesn't need a USB cable, which is a good thing for me, it just plugs in like a pen-drive. I just wish they made it a little bit bigger and used AA instead.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 18
i have the older iriver.
the ifp-799. manufacturer says about 40hrs play time.

with my 2500 AA's, i'd say i get about 30+

the newer generation, the t10, uses OLEDs and stretches the play time to ~50hrs.

i can't really complain about the ifp. i've been using it for quite a while now. 2.5 years.

the iriver will probably cost quite a bit more than the rest of the stuff you see on the streets. but it's good. sounds good, and works well.
plus, if you aren't here for the sound quality, why are you here?
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my MuVo V100. It runs a surprisingly long time with 1000Mah NIMH AAA. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other players but it sounds good, its easy to use and its relatively cheap. It doesn't need a USB cable, which is a good thing for me, it just plugs in like a pen-drive. I just wish they made it a little bit bigger and used AA instead.

x2. I had a 1gb MuVo TX and I'd highly recc. it. Uses 1AA, can record (poorly), be used as a flash drive, had FM radio, screen that displays all necessary info, and great sound quality as well. Best thing is they're only about $50 online.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 18
Iriver T10. Runs on a single AA. I've been using it for 3 months now and I need only to change my rechargeables once a week. I'm a medium to considerably heavy user since I commute and sleep with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 18
The Creatives use AAA ... pretty good value, nice form/size (the Zen Nano is smaller than the Muvos, because it doesn't have the built-in USB connector).

I believe the iRivers use AA.

I had the iAudio 5 (AAA battery) and was impressed by its sound customization possibilities, although I set it at near flat EQ and effects. The G2/G3 uses an AA battery and doesn't look like much, but it has excellent battery capacity and the excellent iAudio sound. Might not be available in a retail store, though, outside Korea.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 18
How would you guys rank the build quality of the G3 and the V100?

From what I can tell, theres are solid players, but can be hit or miss with getting a dud. Longevity doesn't look promising either.

Cowon / iaudio looks to be a great brand when it comes to best bang for buck, but sketchy firmware, piss-poor US customer support, and less than favorable quality control keeps me away.

The Creative Muvo V100 gets similar reviews, but fewer complaints regarding reliability.

Can you guys recommend any other flash based players with good sq (Better than SANSA) and drag/drop support (UMS) with either a AA/AAA or some other sort of user replaceable battery, and the durability to keep running?

I've searched high and low, and still can't come to a conclusion between the G3 and V100...

Also--could anybody point me to some user reviews of the G3 or V100? I've already searched, and the minimum char is 3 so "G3" is out. I haven't found much on the V100 here at all, except for maybe 2 or 3 people that actually own it.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 18
Sony E-100 series (if you can still find one)
Runs off of AAA batteries and gets 70 hrs on one battery. Gloriously small and light too. In your pocket, you'll forget its even there, and if fits comfortably in a fist.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrflip69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you guys rank the build quality of the G3 and the V100?

From what I can tell, theres are solid players, but can be hit or miss with getting a dud. Longevity doesn't look promising either.

Cowon / iaudio looks to be a great brand when it comes to best bang for buck, but sketchy firmware, piss-poor US customer support, and less than favorable quality control keeps me away.

The Creative Muvo V100 gets similar reviews, but fewer complaints regarding reliability.

Can you guys recommend any other flash based players with good sq (Better than SANSA) and drag/drop support (UMS) with either a AA/AAA or some other sort of user replaceable battery, and the durability to keep running?

I've searched high and low, and still can't come to a conclusion between the G3 and V100...

Also--could anybody point me to some user reviews of the G3 or V100? I've already searched, and the minimum char is 3 so "G3" is out. I haven't found much on the V100 here at all, except for maybe 2 or 3 people that actually own it.

Well... Ive had the V100 since christmas and so far no reliability problems. Drag / Drop transfer speeds are a little slow. 170M takes ~4 minutes.... if that matters at all to you.

Previously I had a 512M MuVo for 2.5 years, used it regularly ~10hours/week, on my commute and out/about. I really beat up on that little player. I fell asleep ON it countless times at night as my night-time sleep source. Its not the last say in sound quality, compared to my D335 it sounds kind of flat. *EDIT* readers should note, sonicaly the D335 flat out destroys any portable MP3 player on the planet. It has a very good sounding internal DAC and headphone circuit... so its to be expected that the V100 would fall a little short of that lofty standard.

I like its square shape. makes it easy to piggy-back with a portable amp. Here are some pics with my portable setup.

Sometihng for you to consider... I heard a rumor that there is only ~2-3 CPU/Chipsets for these 1.5 Volt flash players, Sandisk, Sigmatel.. and one other chip maker whos name I forget. So for the most part youre getting one of those 3 basic designs. Don't quote me on that... it was something I had heard through the rumor-mill.

Where are you? Anywhere near the bay area? PM me if you wanted to hook up and give a listen with my Grados, and D-jays IEMs. I have a new amp coming too in a couple weeks... the first and ONLY design from a amp designer in thailand.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back