Small mod to the Grado SR60
May 10, 2004 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gummy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people, I thought I'd just have my first post (well, not technically) in head-fi by showing what humble cans I have
redface.gif

Some of you might know me from Sharky
wink.gif

So what is here are my Grado SR60s with quater-size holes cut in it.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

It opened up the mids and highs nicely.
I think I hear more details too.
Overall it sounds a LOT better than before.
Less fatiguing with classicals (I know, I know, I am not supposed to listen to classicals with these
tongue.gif
)

So this is just a hint to people who'd want to buy a cheap Grado SR60 in the future. (from me please so I can go higher end)

I am happy to enter the headphone/audiophile scene and for sure will need your wisdom later down the road.

p.s. If you are sorry about my wallet, please buy my MD in the classfieds
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 15
hi, not the cleanest of cuts, but well done. i have the same quarter-mod on radioshack foamies on the ms-1. and welcome!

May 10, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 15
A Grado with an afro, how cool. Great job with the experiment Gummy. It's always cool to see someone not afraid to try some thinking outside the box when it comes to their cans. Congrats and rock on!

May 12, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Lisa, I guess it's better he started small, since he can always make it bigger if he wanted
cool.gif

Nice work Gummy, now we have to infect you with the upgradeitis disease so some HD580's and a Pimeta or someting are in your future...unless I'm speaking too late!

May 12, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 15
Here's a tip for cutting a "clean" hole in the the foam pads, whether they are yellow Sennheiser ones, or the Grado comfies. Use a leather punch for the size of the hole you desire. They are available in 3/4", 1", etc. & can be had from Tandy Leather, or other leather crafts type shop.

- augustwest

May 12, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Lisa, I guess it's better he started small, since he can always make it bigger if he wanted
cool.gif

Nice work Gummy, now we have to infect you with the upgradeitis disease so some HD580's and a Pimeta or someting are in your future...unless I'm speaking too late!

Yup, I thought I should just reveal the drivers first.
But it seems like I could get somemore improvements.

For sure a HD580 and PIMETA in the future. But then again, I don't wanna a setup too identical to yours (I am guessing)
So maybe the AKG 501 since it's a great classical phone.

May 12, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Talk to Zemo about the AKG's, I know he has those cans and loves them
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Use a leather punch for the size of the hole you desire. They are available in 3/4", 1", etc. & can be had from Tandy Leather, or other leather crafts type shop.

- augustwest

Any ballpark on costs for a leather punch? Under $20, more than $20?

May 12, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
What did you use to make such a clean cut?

Just a large coin and a sharp knife.

It may not be so clean as it looks. It's not exactly round but I tried. I pressed the coin as hard on the foam as I could. Then when cutting I pointed the point of the knife a bit towards the coin, like you want to cut just underneath the edge of the coin.

May 12, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 15
TO throw a twist into the mix I used a small Lowry's seasoned salt container to use as a guide. It worked well with the few pairs of Senn 414 pads I used with the Grados I had at the time. The coin was too thin, and I felt that one slip would lead to stitches I didnt' want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back