small form-factor player to use with Miracles, produce minimal background noise?
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mcdeeda

Head-Fier
so, i use an iPod Classic / AlgoRythm / Rx Mk2 rig in tandem with my UM Miracles and i absolutely adore it, but i often find myself in situations in which it'd be much easier to have a small form-factor player i could actually fit in my pocket, just when walking around without my bag with me

my main concern, which is what steers me away from just using the iPod alone, is that i get a ton of background noise when i use the 3.5mm directly out of it. if anything i'm looking for something that would minimize that sort of feedback

i'm not really up on the PMP scene, but i know that the Clip+ is supposedly great, and the form factor seems perfect, looking for other options or maybe affirmation that this is the best option, i don't know. storage space isn't a huge issue as long as it's expandable or available with at least 16gb of space

thanks in advance, anyone willing to help me out with this

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
My price range is probably $200 and under, though cheaper is always better
Ipod nano is a great option as they are already known for one of the best sounding ipods presently in the market. Otherwise clip zip is another option.

would the nano bring significant improvements over the Classic in terms of quality? and would it be any better in terms of reducing background feedback?
depends how much you are willing to spend, clip/fuze is great for a cheap option, higher price options include cowon s9/j3/d2 and maybe some of the sony players?

well, i don't really need anything with bells and whistles, which is why the clip+ seemed appealing to me. with cowon and sony devices, it looks like you're paying the premium not for a better DAC chip or anything like that, but for touch screens and other features i don't really need. if they sound better, though, i'd definitely check them out

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 8
What you need my friend is the Sansa Clip+ !

Cheap effective with superb sound quality. Can be upgrade for a small fee to any storage you like. You can pick up a 2gb model for around $28 refurbished on ebay. Save yourself some serious money put the ipods away like I did and get a Clip+ you'll be amazed how funky this little player is. Size of a match box, cheaper than dinner for two, light as a feather. It's honestly your best option, for size / performance / value.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250947319297?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 8
JFYI, I definitely don't recommend J3 for use with UM Miracle (if additional amp used, that'd be a different matter).

Driven directly out of J3 H/O, I've found that the Miracle does not behave itself very well.

Maybe J3 output impedance may be too high for Miracle's impedance (12 ohms or so, by my estimation).

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 8
The Nanite N2 (highly recommended) are pretty good for storage, soundquality (definitely improvement over iPod Classic) and has minimuim size, others DAPs like Sansa Fuze plus, Sony X1060 are also recomended for the better sound experience.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Sansa Clip+ or Zip.

Small form factor, great sound with no background hiss from sensitive IEMs, can be Rockboxed to increase battery life and provide better EQ options, and with expandable memory can go up to 72Gb (8Gb internal + 64Gb Micro SDXC card reformatted to Fat32).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back