Small form Amp to $300 for IEMs
Aug 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

inego

Head-Fier
Earlier in the year I thought I'd killed my iBasso D2+ and sought some advice. But, given that it would have been an excuse fro a new toy, I was semi-disappointed that I fixed the broken switch fairly easily.

Anyway, now I'm thinking of a new toy to replace the D2+, to go with my ipod and UM3Xs. I don't need a DAC, but I do want a smaller form than the iBasso, and am trying to limit myself to $300. Is there anything amp only which meets my requirements? If not for the issues the Arrow looks like a real option, and the Leckerton UH6 seems to meet the form requirement, although still has a DAC.

Thanks in advance - Kent

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks - hadn't considered that line of enquiry. One of the guys here at work has a UH4 (after I introduced him to head-fi), so I'll check it out too.

Any others? And does not having a combined amp/DAC mean a better amp, or is it pretty much moot?

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 6
I use a Headstage Arrow 3G (sent in for 4G upgrade) and it is impressive and has a very small form factor. But I will say that for my Westones (UM2) its way overkill and I suspect its gonna be the same for your UM3X. I just use them straight out of my iphone usually.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks - As I said, I'm mainly after a new toy. An amp has made a difference with my UM3X, but whether I'll recognise the difference with a better amp, who knows. I don't want worse, but I would like smaller.than the ibasso

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had the Arrow 4G since February with no issues, paired off with UM Merlin/UE TF10/Westone 4. Awesome battery life and power to burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back