Small Footprint Gaming Headset - Any acceptable ones?
Sep 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

voon

100+ Head-Fier
I got a gaming laptop, an ASUS G750JX. Already a huge thing, it sits in a big Dicota Casual 18" Messenger Bag. And I want a few headphones along for a decent gaming experience, headphones, that do not send out sound to the surroundings, but feature a mic for those online gaming times. Now I like good sound ... I don't necessarily need all that fancy "7.1" fake sound etc, as I'm not the shooter type, I like RPGs, Strategy etc ... games with pretty music scores and not a lot of 3D location going on. At home, I own Beyerdynamic DT880, and for the mobile moments, a Triple.Fi 10. Now the DT880s are way to big for laptop use. I could just get a mike and use that together with the tripple fi's ... good sound, noise isolation, no sound to the exterior ... not that bad. But I wonder if there's not a good isolating over the head phone ... they seem to be more comfortable to me than in ears over an extended period of time. There's the MMX-300 .. solid built, solid performance ... but also somewhat dated in user friendlyness ... no quick mike out of the way to mute flick, no easy access controls on the headphone and that's quite a neat thing to have during gaming... then there's things like the astro A50's or the sennheiser 360s etc ... none of them very small to fit a laptop messenger bag, though it seems? And I have absolutly no idea how they compare to each other and no means to test them out here in CH. Then there's the freakier things like SMS made "by 50" phones ... reported to sound good, but I tend to avoid any models, where some "cool" rapper puts his name on .. they tend to be bass boosting crap and I do not like an overly big amount of bass. Sure, the games must go boom and bang, but I don't want the constant pressure of boom on my ears while just walking around in an RPG. I like "exciting" in games, so the headphones do not necessarily have to be extremely neutral, but they have to be "non-annoying", if this is any help?

I'm really a bit at a loss here on what to get...

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 4
No other opinions? All audiophiles scared off by "gaming" or "headset"? :) If I could, I'd bring my DT880s and an attached ModMic etc along.... too large, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back