Small entry level budget/Questioning realistic audio improvement
Oct 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tetsuma

100+ Head-Fier
For a while now, i've been using horrible/basic audio equipment to try and enjoy what has become almost an obsession, my music collection.

Due to the cost of living, i have a very small budget in which to improve my sound card and headphones. I've found that a Xonar DX fits my interests well, 192KHz/24bit playback support and EAX emulation.

Currently, i'm using Logitech's G35s.
I don't like them. 

Since I purchased them, much has changed with my audio interests- including starting to study the subject. However, due to live sound management and theory being the focus, i've been unable to actually sample quality headphones with some of my music.

Which brings me to this thread, i'm interested in what audible different there will be (if any) if I were to 'upgrade' my Logitech g35s to Sennheiser HD555s and use them through a Xonar DX? I'm sure having the HD playback for porcupine tree's Fear of a blank planet will be nice. But what about my 16bit 48/44khz collections? I'm also sure that dolby headphone will make my 5.1 collection sound better then the G35s.

I also have some crap 5.1 speakers from logitech that my brother lent me for use during the day time, while they can't produce quality playback, the snr should at least make things a little less frustrating. 

please feel free to leave your opinions, any advice is appreciated.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 3
The 555's should be somewhat of an improvement. Considering that you are replacing a 5.1 headset with them should pretty much guarantee you an (huge) improvement. The sonar is a nice piece of hardware, but the differences can pretty subtle if you are new to high end, considering the 555s don't need an amp.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
The 555's should be somewhat of an improvement. Considering that you are replacing a 5.1 headset with them should pretty much guarantee you an (huge) improvement. The sonar is a nice piece of hardware, but the differences can pretty subtle if you are new to high end, considering the 555s don't need an amp.

Thanks for the reply Silverxxx.

I understand that i'm not going to be suddenly exposed to a new level of quality with this setup (well, comming from the G35s it may be possible). A better question to ask the Head-fi'ers would be: Is the HD 555 an acceptable/good set of entry level headphones, and would the Xonar DX best compliment their intended roll as 30-40% gaming, the rest musical use?

EDIT:
I've found Audio Technica ATH-AT700s on ebay( :\ ) for $100
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-HEADPHONE-ATHAD700-/130444203521?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item1e5f149601#ht_4834wt_905

Would they be legitimate, and would they serve as better headphones then the HD555s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back