Small earphone to use during sleep
Nov 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #18 of 24
I have the same problem, and have likewise searched for the same solution.

The issue is this - I like to wear earbuds when I sleep.  I use them to listen to background music, often over my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch, and also to drown out background ambient noise which would otherwise keep me awake.

So my earbuds need to have the following three requirements, in this order:

1) Sound isolation.
2) No pain when sleeping directly on them.
3) Sound quality.

Sound isolation rules out any kind of speaker system.  That won't work for me.

Most earbuds I have owned, from cheap to expensive and everywhere in between, are painful when I roll over on them - they push into my ears and it wakes me up.  Or they seal so well that they become uncomfortable due to heat.

Sound quality is important, but ultimately something I can sacrifice to some extent.  I am *sleeping* which means I am not actively listening.  It's just pleasant music that my brain can handle, as opposed to certain ambient noises that I cannot sleep through.  I often tune to some streaming station like one of the mellow 'soma.fm' feeds, or listen to recorded music on my iPod Touch, which I tuck under my pillow.

I have had good luck with the HiFiMan series of headphones, but I keep breaking them.  Specifically, the RE-300i.  They are cheap, they isolate, they are comfortable to sleep in (most important) and they even sound pretty good, but they are made badly in my opinion.

Like many others reported on Amazon, the RE-300i broke when I took it out of the package.  For real; the act of removing it from the plastic container broke the built-in volume control.  Unlike others, I was able to put mine back together and wrapped electrician's tape around it.  It no longer functioned as a volume control, but it did work.

The earbud design was wonderful - I could tuck it completely into the ear canal and when I rolled over, I felt no pressure, no pain.

It only lasted a year though, and then the wire next to one of the buds developed a split and a short.  Unrepairable.  Fair enough; I do sleep on it, so I suppose it gets stressed in ways that it would not if I was just sitting up reading a book or something.

I am currently testing out a set of Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones RP-HJE120 earbuds.  I hope to report back shortly on whether or not they will work as a replacement for the more expensive HiFiMan.  Certainly better made, and a lot cheaper.

Other than that, I've been through many different kinds of recommended earbuds.  All are good for listening, excellent quality, and I'm pleased with the way they sound.  I just can't sleep with them in my ears, and that's a requirement.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be glad to investigate further.  Unfortunately, the people I have asked in the past all seem to think sound quality is the highest requirement, or price.  I am interested in both of course, but if I roll over and it feels like someone shoved an ice pick into my brain, then no, those are not going to work for me.

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 24
  I have the same problem, and have likewise searched for the same solution.

The issue is this - I like to wear earbuds when I sleep.  I use them to listen to background music, often over my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch, and also to drown out background ambient noise which would otherwise keep me awake.

So my earbuds need to have the following three requirements, in this order:

1) Sound isolation.
2) No pain when sleeping directly on them.
3) Sound quality.

Sound isolation rules out any kind of speaker system.  That won't work for me.

Most earbuds I have owned, from cheap to expensive and everywhere in between, are painful when I roll over on them - they push into my ears and it wakes me up.  Or they seal so well that they become uncomfortable due to heat.

Sound quality is important, but ultimately something I can sacrifice to some extent.  I am *sleeping* which means I am not actively listening.  It's just pleasant music that my brain can handle, as opposed to certain ambient noises that I cannot sleep through.  I often tune to some streaming station like one of the mellow 'soma.fm' feeds, or listen to recorded music on my iPod Touch, which I tuck under my pillow.

I have had good luck with the HiFiMan series of headphones, but I keep breaking them.  Specifically, the RE-300i.  They are cheap, they isolate, they are comfortable to sleep in (most important) and they even sound pretty good, but they are made badly in my opinion.

Like many others reported on Amazon, the RE-300i broke when I took it out of the package.  For real; the act of removing it from the plastic container broke the built-in volume control.  Unlike others, I was able to put mine back together and wrapped electrician's tape around it.  It no longer functioned as a volume control, but it did work.

The earbud design was wonderful - I could tuck it completely into the ear canal and when I rolled over, I felt no pressure, no pain.

It only lasted a year though, and then the wire next to one of the buds developed a split and a short.  Unrepairable.  Fair enough; I do sleep on it, so I suppose it gets stressed in ways that it would not if I was just sitting up reading a book or something.

I am currently testing out a set of Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones RP-HJE120 earbuds.  I hope to report back shortly on whether or not they will work as a replacement for the more expensive HiFiMan.  Certainly better made, and a lot cheaper.

Other than that, I've been through many different kinds of recommended earbuds.  All are good for listening, excellent quality, and I'm pleased with the way they sound.  I just can't sleep with them in my ears, and that's a requirement.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be glad to investigate further.  Unfortunately, the people I have asked in the past all seem to think sound quality is the highest requirement, or price.  I am interested in both of course, but if I roll over and it feels like someone shoved an ice pick into my brain, then no, those are not going to work for me.

Thanks!

How was your experience with the Panasonic ErgoFit?
Personally, I found it to be very comfortable to sleep with.

And I'm considering to get a pair of Tennmak Pro.So OP, can you share your opinion of it?, assuming you got it.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 24
  How was your experience with the Panasonic ErgoFit?
Personally, I found it to be very comfortable to sleep with.

And I'm considering to get a pair of Tennmak Pro.So OP, can you share your opinion of it?, assuming you got it.

I find that I can sleep with the Panasonic ErgoFit earbuds in, but they are not as comfortable as my (broken) HiFiMan RE-300i were.  The sound, however, is actually better in terms of quality.

I know everyone's ears are different, not just in terms of what we enjoy hearing, but in terms of how they're actually shaped.  In my case, the ErgoFit are very close to being comfortable, but I still have moments where I roll over on my side and they hurt a bit.  Not terrible, and I'm putting up with it for now.

Still looking for something more comfortable to sleep with in my ears.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 24
I too had this problem and came on here over a year ago asking the same question. Someone suggested the Senn CX 300 II (which are $28.89 on Amazon right now) which have served my sleep purposes beautifully. I am a side sleeper and like to listen to a sleep cd to drown out my wife's snoring. These have such a small form factor and don't bother me at all and don't cause any residual pain in the morning. Another feature they have which I love is that the right and left cables are different lengths (right one is longer than the left) which are meant to be worn behind your head. This may not work for some people when just listening in a regular upright position, but when laying down it keeps the cables away from your face. It is also easy to tell which is the right and left without getting the glasses out. Also, the sound quality is excellent for the price.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 24
I really like the NuForce Ne-600x for sleeping. They have a super nice tight yet loose fit, and for me are super comfy as they sit super deep in my ears. Cant really talk too too much about sound quality. They are okay for watching youtube videos. and way too much bass for me, not comically big, but they contend with audio techinca..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back