Small durable phones for ipod
Apr 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get a small, compact pair of headphones for an ipod that I can just throw in my pocket and not worry about. I had Ety 4P's in the past, and while they sound great, they are too fragile (and expensive!) to just put in my pocket. I was hoping for something that sounds better than mx500's... I am probably looking at the <$100 range. Maybe some of the audio-technica earbuds or clip-ons from audiocubes? Sound quality isn't really my #1 priority because this would be a portable set up... having something small, durable, (and preferably stylish) that sounds decent is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks, bdb55

Apr 25, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I treat my Shure E2c's like crap, and they are great. I put them in my pocket and wrap them around my iPod, throw them in the pocket, and go.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 8
if you're willing to try out something new, i'd suggest taking a look at the very inexpensive aiwa swoops at audio cubes. i bought the ear-clips (thinking i was getting an i-pod mini and wanting a short cord for armband wear), which look dorky, but there are in-ear and headband styles available. they sounded awful on first hearing: boomy, sloppy bass, squeaky highs. truly laughable. they have settled down a lot, though, and they have the sweet spot in the mid-range that i found lacking in the other earphones i've purchased from audio cubes: sharp md33, at cm5 and cm7, panasonic re-hj535. i haven't heard the mx500, so i can't compare, but for the price these are fun phones. btw, i also have the e5s, which i love, but sometimes my ears (which are physically sensitive to weight, pressure, etc.) need relief.

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 8
mm, im kinda in the same situation, and was about to for the ER4s since i hear they sound alot better and only a tad more that the alternative E3c,

but would you say that the er4 are more delicate? as my portable setup wont be givin the same amount of care, and will probably be wrapped around things and chucked in my pocket : o

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 8
in my opinion the shures seem much more durable than the etys.

the shures are made with musicians in mind, so they are meant to be real tough, especially the e5's. the e3's are very durable in their own right, but the e5's seem even more so.

i would have to say, that the e3's seem much more "solid," than the er-4's. i think both the er-4 and the e3's will be ok to "throw in your pocket." but if i were to place a bet on which would last longer with this kind of abuse, i would have to say e3's.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 8
^^sorry if ive kinda high jacked the thread but^^

the E3c will also look more natural aye, like ur wearing normal headphones, .....not that im ashamed of my love of cans or anythin
tongue.gif

just wondering last thing b4 i order me some e3c, when ur wearing them and listening at reasonable volume so u cant hear anythingelse, can people hear the music? say ur in a library would the person studying next to u be able to hear em, .. also, wat sleeves to ppl use, i know everyone is different, just that i have to order these from USA and im in new zealand so i want to save out on shipping // time, so just wondering what acessories you recommend to purchase with them. (i dont see any earwax filters on the shure site, they dont use em?)

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdb55
I am probably looking at the <$100 range.

I think you guys are forgetting this part. The E3's and E5's are definately not under $100.

I would just recommend the E2's. I actually have mine in right now and they are comfortable, inexpensive, come with a good warranty, will be easily driven from your Ipod, and are pretty durable. I usually just stick mine in a round altoid tin when I'm done listening.

And to Swee, yes the E3's will cancel out outside noise, as well as isolate the noise you are hearing. It's like being in your very own audio nirvana
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back