Small DAC/Amp recommendations
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gibant1

New Head-Fier
Having recently started using IEM, I wondered whether to get a Chord Mojo 2 or some of the dongle Dacs.

I use Bluetooth on my BTR7 or My Dethonray Pegasus SG-1 Se. They sound great, Particularly the SG1 Se, but when I plugged in an Old Mojo, I was still impressed with that sound.

I have replaced the battery on the Mojo but it's still not good. I need something pocketable, my main reservation with the Mojo 2 is the damned Micro USB which I hate with a passion.

My Current IEMs are Empire Ears Hero and EPZ 530 Though I'm on the hunt for more!

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 12
The Tanchjim Space on the 4.4mm jack is fantastic. Surprising amount of power and the ASR review shows the SINAD of many desktop models. I use phones with a 5,000ma battery just to avoid charging too many items on the road. Currently have the Moondrop Variations and the Space keeps up with them on detail and more than enough power.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 12
I don’t know about you but I am enjoying my Magni Unity with usb dac inside

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 12
If you can accept DAP, I believe there are some DAP (ZX and A series from Sony and SR series from Astell & Kern) may satisfy your requirement.

Btw, I think the micro b on mojo 2 is just for supporting poly?
The reason why I hate micro b also is the cable always broke in 1~2 years. As long as I am not using the micro b (or poly), I will be fine with that (not sure about you).

Edited: sorry, type c is only for data transfer :0

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 12
I just got a FiiO KA17 (dongle). Very nice match with my 7Hz Timeless.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 12
The Tanchjim Space on the 4.4mm jack is fantastic. Surprising amount of power and the ASR review shows the SINAD of many desktop models. I use phones with a 5,000ma battery just to avoid charging too many items on the road. Currently have the Moondrop Variations and the Space keeps up with them on detail and more than enough power.
Thank you, I had not heard of that one.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 12
FiiO KA17 with a small power bank in desktop mode is great with anything demanding power. iBasso DC-Elite is excellent as well, easily rivalling most portable DAC/amp.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 12
Aroma Air "no horse run"!

IMG_20240227_153551.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks to all for the advice, I have just bought a Sony Nw-Wm1a DAP, and I'll run a mod firmware on it. I want to see if I will start taking it with me rather than using my Detonray / BTR7. If I use it enough, I will save some cash and buy a new high-end DAP, if it stays on the shelf, I have my answer.

I hope I haven't angered anyone by not taking the advice given, I've been really undecided as to what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back