Small dac/amp capable of 4W (similar to deckard)
Apr 2, 2017 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kranebrain

Head-Fier
Hey guys. So I asked something similar in the portable forum but I'd like to expand upon it.

I have an unusual situation which requires me to constantly work from a laptop. So my hifi setup requires small / portable devices that I can place into my large backpack. Right now I'm using a chord mojo as my dac / amp. I enjoy it but I'm looking to purchase the LCD-XC. I've read they perform best with a 4w amp such as the deckard.

So my question: is there a small (the size of a paperback book or smaller) dac / amp that's capable of that output? Battery not required. I'd prefer to have a dac/amp combo Instead of two separate devices.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey guys. So I asked something similar in the portable forum but I'd like to expand upon it.

I have an unusual situation which requires me to constantly work from a laptop. So my hifi setup requires small / portable devices that I can place into my large backpack. Right now I'm using a chord mojo as my dac / amp. I enjoy it but I'm looking to purchase the LCD-XC. I've read they perform best with a 4w amp such as the deckard.

So my question: is there a small (the size of a paperback book or smaller) dac / amp that's capable of that output? Battery not required. I'd prefer to have a dac/amp combo Instead of two separate devices.

Given the sensitivity of the LCD-XC (even if that was actually efficiency rating, since some manufacturers tend to swap dB/1mW for dB/1V) I'd seriously doubt it will need 4watts of output. The pre-Fazor LCD-2 was loud and dynamic off my Meier Cantate.2, and that barely had 2watts at 32ohms. And that was in less than ideal conditions with an open back headphone, while the LCD-XC is closed back, so chances are you could listen at slightly lower volume levels.

If anything though the LCD-XC has a very low nominal impedance, so what you need is an amp with a very low output impedance whose output doesn't take a nose dive below 32ohms. And you might have to go with a battery though - desktop DAC-HPamps when this small would either run off USB or have a rather large external power supply, and in some cases, can't get any smaller since they make the most out of less size compromises to run more Class A bias, which necessitates more heat dissipation area (heatsinks on some components, the chassis itself helps, etc).

Look into a balanced portable DAC-HPamp like the RSA Intruder, and get the right cable to run the LCD-XC balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back