Small Circum Aural cans
Dec 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheNewGuy8

Head-Fier
I hope this hasn't been covered much, I tried searching.

Basically, I'm looking for small, able-to-be-worn-in-public circum aural cans. I have sensitive ears, so after any sustained amount of time pressure is uncomfortable. Currently I have a pair of RP-21s, and I find them very uncomfortable.

I was at a music shop the other day and they had a pair of Sennheiser EH150's. I know they're crap sound-wise, but they were very very comfortable. Kind of like the Bost Triports - nice seal, circum-aural, not embarassing.

Any thoughts on others of that ilk? I'm leaning towards closed cans, just so I can use them for subway and plane travel, but I'm not totally set on that.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 17
Another vote for the DT250. Or MDR-V6, which is almost precisely the same size, with DT250 pads, if you like a much more forward and trebl-y sound.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT250 does not begin to meet the OP's "able-to-be-worn-in-public" and "not embarassing" requirements.

The V6 probably would not fit as well (looser), may not isolate as well, and is not as stylish at the EH150.

the dt250 looks like a pair of headphones. Not sexy, not institutional, more like the ideal type.

EH150's look lame
wink.gif
- and I would never suggest a pleather/leatherette headphone when one with velour pads will do.

The op will have to decide if the sound bump is worth the $150 premium, but DT250's could well last him a decade.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt250 looks like a pair of headphones. Not sexy, not institutional, more like the ideal type.

EH150's look lame
wink.gif
- and I would never suggest a pleather/leatherette headphone when one with velour pads will do.

The op will have to decide if the sound bump is worth the $150 premium, but DT250's could well last him a decade.

The headphones are not for you. Your opinion of the looks of the EH150 should mean nothing to the OP. You have disregarded the OP's preference for how the EH150 looks "not embarrasing", which is much different than your opinion of their looks "lame". And, you have disregarded the OP's opinion regarding the comfort of the EH150, "very very comfortable"; thus, no need for velour. And, the EH150 is just as likely to last as long as the DT250 for travel purposes, and would be less of a risk if lost or stolen. It should be obvious that SQ is not the OP's highest priority, and you have disregarded this as well. Edit: And, if you think the DT250 would meet the OP's requirements for "able-to-be-worn-in-public" and "not embarassing", what headphones wouldn't?

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 17
jvc s700 is a bose triport clone looks wise. its very isolating and sounds decent. and looks cool too!

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, great sound, but probably not as comfortable as the EH150. I know the Ultrasone Proline 650 was of the less comfortable headphones that I've owned.

You forgot to mention their great looks
wink.gif

Personally I had no comfort issues with them. YMMV

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!

One question - someone said that the Beyer DT 250's and the Sony MDR-V6's were basically the same? Did they mean shape wise? or sound wise?

From what I can gather the Beyer's are around $225, while the Sony's are around $75, seems like a major price leap.

I do love the idea of Velour pads, didn't mention that earlier. I'm OK with leather though.

What are thoughts on the Sony's? They fold up completely, which would be great for travelling.

The JVC's are also very interesting, but of course cloning the Triports probably brings with it the same portability problem: super easy to break the headband. Though I do love the look of them.

thanks all!

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!

One question - someone said that the Beyer DT 250's and the Sony MDR-V6's were basically the same? Did they mean shape wise? or sound wise?

From what I can gather the Beyer's are around $225, while the Sony's are around $75, seems like a major price leap.

I do love the idea of Velour pads, didn't mention that earlier. I'm OK with leather though.

Same size/shape. Different sound - I haven't heard the MDR-V6 myself but everything i've heard about it is that it's very forward with boosted treble, and great for rock because of that.

My DT250-80 is laid-back and neutralish, with good bass presence but not prominant bass quantity.

You can get an MDR-V6 or 7506 (same thing basically) and put DT250 velour pads on it.

fwiw you can sometimes get the DT250 cheaper, but not, apparently, right now. the lowest price i see in stock is $219 from Musicians Friend.

I got lucky - i bought a pair with a broken plastic bit and a lot of duct tape grunge for about $40 on ebay. A little epoxy, perforated aluminum, screw, nut, works fine. A little ugly on the left side. Some day maybe I'll order a replacement part from beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back