Small cheap mp3 player wanted
Jan 24, 2004 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zibit

Head-Fier
Hello. I just want a small, sizewise mp3 player that is cheap. Sound quality really isnt an issue. Just the smaller the better. I throw freight at a large grocery store and need something small that has a sturdy build quality. Megabyte-wise, I really dont need anything over half a gig or so. I really only need enough to put on a cd or two. Price is the next biggest issue. Cheaper the better.

So in short.

1. Small size
2. Sturdy build quality, sustane occational smacks againts things.
3. Price. cheap.

I dont even know what the going rates are for mp3 players, the first ive even thought about getting one, is something under 100 bux going to fit my description?

Thank you for reading this long post.

EDIT: Fm tuner would be nice too, but not needed at all.

Jan 24, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 10
rio chiba or cali might fit your ticket. If you want more space the nitrus 1.5 gig can be had for 110 dollars at different online sites.

Jan 24, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 10
Whoa...where can the nitrus be bought for $110? My friend wants one of those...

Jan 25, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 10
I was able to find something called the Soulmate on ebay a while back for $20. It's got 45 megs, is a little taller but about the same width and depth as a pack of playing cards, runs on AAA batteries, and only has a serial interface, but for the price, how can you go wrong? I don't know if they're still being sold, but you might want to look around.

Edit: D'oh! Thanks for setting me right, Austonia. 45 megs non-expandable flash is what I meant. My poor brain.

Jan 25, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Megabyte-wise, I really dont need anything over half a gig or so. I really only need enough to put on a cd or two.

A little confused by this. If you're only going to put one or two CDs on it, I doubt you'll need 512MB. Please clarify...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, if you do need half a gig, you'll be hardpressed to do it for under $100. You have two options here: hunt down a Lyra/Lyra 2 or Nex II on eBay for around $20 or so and look for a 512MB CF card or try to aim for a Nitrus. Problem is, the Lyra/Lyra 2/Nex II players aren't too small, and the Nitrus is a bit over budget and might not survive occasional smacks - not sure if most HD players would.

Now if you don't need all that space, you begin to open up some other possibilities. You can get a 64MB Rio S30s for around $68 + shipping and they do have FM tuners, IIRC. But if you really want to save money, you might want to check out Yepps on eBay. I see one right now at around $12 + shipping, and you can easily pick up another SM card.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: If you're willing to get a non-expandable player, the 128MB TDK Mojo X is available today from buy.com for $59.99 after rebate.

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 10
It was posted on riovolution a while back. 130 -20 with mail in rebate. Not sure where but a search on riovolution should tell you.

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Nepomuk
I was able to find something called the Soulmate on ebay a while back for $20. It's got 45 gigs, is a little taller but about the same width and depth as a pack of playing cards, runs on AAA batteries, and only has a serial interface, but for the price, how can you go wrong? I don't know if they're still being sold, but you might want to look around.

45 gB for $20? not bad lol

Jan 26, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by pinsomniac
A little confused by this. If you're only going to put one or two CDs on it, I doubt you'll need 512MB. Please clarify...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I probably dont need even that much. But most of my cds are about 125 megs. 192kbps, though encoded lower would save space. So yeah maybe a 128mb player would suffice if i encoded them lower.

So really I just want something cheap and durable.

Thanks everyone for their comments!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back