Small, cheap, active speakers to use with a PC
Jul 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #16 of 21
I finally tested the JBL Duet and they work like a charm. Exactly the output power I needed and good quality for watching movies. For music, they're decent for the price. Of course, they're not my Jamo 128 :wink: but they sound acceptably good.

Without turning up the volume knob to the maximum, they sound over the street noises and the air conditioner hum with no distortion. I'm going to buy these, finally.

Thanks for the advices :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 21
Sennheiser used to make an unit that emulated dolby prologic and it was meant to be used with up to two headphones. Actually the unit used to sell with an HD580, the unit can be found for around $80 - $100 used and the cables it comes with plus the one with the Sennheiser's HD580 would be over 3 meters long.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 21
@Miguel: very expensive setup for our needs. Good, sure, but more expensive than I like :wink: Thanks anyway!

@orthikon: I have two cats. One of them is very well behaved, the other is still a kitten and loves to bite anything around her, specially cables. She has bitten many headphone cables, so running a three meter cord while we are watching some movie and falling asleep is too big a temptation for her :D

I've had to protect all cables in the house, specially audio cables because they're thin enough to be bitten through by the kitten! Fortunately she only bites and breaks cables belonging to expensive equipment, so I can save a pair of cheap headphones for my everyday use :D As for the JBL, I don't know if they're expensive enough to her likings 
darthsmile.gif

Again, thanks for the advice. After testing them today for a longer time, I think I'll go with the JBL Duet. Not the best speakers around, but very good for the price, small and with enough power. I must confess I would have not bought them if I hadn't heard them, because I don't like the power/volume knob and the power adapter is too big, but after testing them I've changed my mind. A pity I cannot test more models :frowning2:

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #20 of 21
Creative T20. Should be able to find them for less than 50usd. And they can get loud enough, and sound pretty good for the price. You don't have a subwoofer unit to mess with. Simple stereo. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #21 of 21
diff_lock2, I finally bought the JBL Duet. I considered the T20, too, but they were too expensive at least in the shops where I looked. The JBL do the job quite good, to be sincere :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back