Small, cheap, active speakers to use with a PC
Jul 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all :)

I'm somewhat new in this forum, as I spend most of my time in the IEM forum. I haven't read this forum much, so maybe there is an obvious answer to my question which I don't know.

I use my laptop to listen to music, watch movies, etc. In my living room that's not a problem because I have my Marantz and my pair of Jamo. I connect the headphone output of my laptop to the Marantz amplifier and I'm very happy with the results.

The problem is that my wife and I usually watch movies and series while in bed, and we use my laptop for that. Currently we have a el-cheapo logitech speakers, 3W RMS, and they always were sort of "short powered" for our needs, but we could live with them. Now, in summer, with open windows (or air conditioning system, or ventilator, on), more noise, etc. we are in need of something more powerful.

Sound quality is not a very big problem, since for that I have my living room equipment, and for watching series or listening to online radios I don't need a hi-end system :wink: I need the following:

- Relatively small. I have some room where the laptop lives in the bedroom, but not much.
- Stereo. Without subwoofer unless that adds a lot of quality for less price :wink:
- Cheap. I would love something under 40 euros or the like. Anyway, if quality is good, I can spend a bit more.
- Active. I don't have room for an amplifier.
- 3.5 connector, to use the headphone output of the laptop.
- 10W RMS minimum, the more the better, as street noises can be a problem.

As I haven't found anything suitable in the shops I've visited, I've decided to ask the forum experts :)

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 21
I would have suggested the Logitech LS21, they've worked very well for me and are very cheap. After a quick search online though they're only 7W RMS. Ah well. Good luck with your search. :)

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks Whiskers :)

Currently I have a pair of LS11, which sound quite good for the price, so the LS21 may be an option. 7W are not a lot more power, but may do the job.

Another model I'm considering is the JBL Duet 2.0. 12W and I can buy them for about 45 EUR, which is a very good price. Moreover, I like the sound.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 21
The one thing about the LS21 is the bass is pretty damn muddy, and the sub can overload pretty easily. But generally speaking it's fine for music and movies, there's a handy knob at the back to adjust the bass levels as you need. I've not got any experience with JBL speakers so I can't offer much advice there. I got my LS21 system for £20 or so a few months ago, pretty good for the price I thought. I was a bit worried they might not be very loud but I've found they're quite capable.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 21
Muddy basses don't bother me, as I'm not going to listen to much music on them, mostly movies in a noisy environment.

The problem with the LS21 is that I haven't found them in my usual shops, only online, while the JBL I can find easily. Curiously, the JBL are cheap only in certain colors, and the "cheap color" depends on the shop! I don't mind the color, so no problem :)

I'm going to ask my usual shop if they can get me a pair of LS21. If they're considerably cheaper than the JBL I may buy them. Otherwise, I think I will have to go to the JBL or keep on searching.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 21
My guess is Logitech are getting rid of the LS21. They're apparantly one of their older models, and it'd make sense with the sale I got mine in. (Another 2 of my friends happened to buy them in sales too - both down in England and we didn't know this interesting fact until we all spoke of our latest purchases lol!) You could try asking one of the shops that sell the JBL if you can hear a preview? Some of these places are helpful like that, it's always worth a try.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 21
Interesting to know that Logitech may be selling old stock, maybe the price will be lower, then :)

As for hearing a preview of the JBL, no problem at all since they're old acquaintances. They exist since, at least, 10 years ago or even more, in different incarnations, and I've listened to them many times. I'm still searching for alternatives, just in case I find something cheaper.

Again, thanks :)

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 21
Well the best solution would be to avoid noises, silence is very important for sound quality, just common sense,also the laptop don't have onboard speakers ?

Also if you really want something louder consider something far more bigger and powerful, the LS21 is the very same speakers as your expect the sub-woofer lol it will sound the nearly the same but with a little "boom-boom" bass.

The world best speakers will sound like crap if you use a vacuum cleaner.
redface.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 21
The noises from the street are unavoidable (unfortunately...) and as I stated in my first message, sound quality is not an issue precisely because of that. Output power is more important, so we can hear the movies we watch. Moreover, at times we have to turn on the air conditioning system: then we can shut up the windows (street noises are less noticeable) but the equipment hum can go over 48dB, and it is nearer to us than the laptop!

The laptop builtin speakers sound VERY low, they're unusable even in quiet environments.

RIght now, with 3 Watts RMS we can hear the movies, but we lose words from time to time. 7 W RMS should do the job, but I think I better go with the JBL 12 Watts RMS.

The thing is that we need speakers capable of producing about 50-60dB of sound pressure at the bed head, and 3 Watts are not enough. Tomorrow a friend of mine is going to lend me his JBL Duet II, to check if 12 Watts will produce that level or not.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 21
Yes i understand but be careful the watts do not necessary mean it is powerful enough, even RMS, it depend on many factors,technology,marketing how it is calculate etc...

A <5 watts system can be very powerful,realist and loud if you use high efficiency horn speakers.

Anyway you will hear if the JBL is good enough.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Yes i understand but be careful the watts do not necessary mean it is powerful enough, even RMS, it depend on many factors,technology,marketing how it is calculate etc...

A <5 watts system can be very powerful,realist and loud if you use high efficiency horn speakers.

Anyway you will hear if the JBL is good enough.

I know, that's why I wanted advice or, in this case, being able to test the speakers before buying. I want to make sure that 12 Watts will be powerful enough.

Anyway, given the usual quality for PC speakers, if 3 Watts are not enough, 5 won't, either. You know: cheap, plastic, low efficiency drivers, etc. Moreover, almost no manufacturer give the sound pressure levels or other useful data, just the electrical power. At least, they now give the RMS values, and not the peak values or, worst, the "musical power". Do you remember those 400W PC speakers, a decade ago? Most of them didn't have more than 10 Watts.

Weren't I so lazy, I would use good speakers and some TDA-based stereo amplifier. But given that quality is not an issue, that won't be a very intelligent purchase on my part :wink: The speakers alone would be too expensive.

Well, let's see if the JBL will do the job. I will have them from my friend on monday, probably.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 21
get a pair of Audioengine A2 - they're perfect for your settings. are small but the sound belies their size. if placed properly (ear-level) the bass can be surprisingly powerful. are not audiophile level (no-surprise given their size), but are very, very musical. I use a pair to watch TV/movies with - beat the TV on-board sound by a long shot, and probably most of the standard PC speakers too. they're more than what you maybe wanted to spend, but are worth the extra €, IMO

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Lenny, I'll check the price on specialized shops around here. I want to avoid buying online these speakers, given that I have some options in local shops (the cheaper option).

The online price, almost 200$, is way too high for me, but I'll take a look anyway.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 21
If noise is an issue, why don't you get a pair of cheap IEMs or regular earbuds for that matter and split them from the output of the laptop.

WAAAAAAAY more fidelity and bass output you can get from a speaker that's 40 euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back