Small amp to power full size Audio Technica headphones off a smartphone?
Nov 15, 2015 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hal55

Head-Fier
I have been really impressed with a recent purchase, a Lenovo k3 Note smartphone, driving VJay headphones. The combo is very, very good. I have a pair of full size Audio Technica  A900 headphones and would love to try them with the Lenovo. Problem of course is that they are 6mm full size jacks and almost certainly too hard a load for the phone by itself.  Finding a simple amp to take the small jack output of the phone, and output to a full size jack with added power, is proving unsuccessful so far. Ideally I don't even want a volume control and will use the phone to control volume. The lenovo doesn't have a fixed line out, only the variable headphone output.
Plenty of amps/ampdacs and all with volume control included, but I'm just after something simpler than that. Although something like a Dragonfly might one day be purchased I'm initially just after something small and reasonably priced - I really think the Lenovo is that good it doesn't need an external DAC, just more juice for bigger cans. The Audio technica's are very comfortable (way more than the VJays which I find very good but always seem fiddly on my head).
Anyone point me in the direction of a suitable amp? Budget to about $100.

Thanks,

Hal55

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 7
The simplest solution is the FiiO E6. The size of the jack isn't the issue here. Seems that you just want more output power. I have no experience with other portable amps, but know that FiiO's many options are popular.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 7
  I have been really impressed with a recent purchase, a Lenovo k3 Note smartphone, driving VJay headphones. The combo is very, very good. I have a pair of full size Audio Technica  A900 headphones and would love to try them with the Lenovo. Problem of course is that they are 6mm full size jacks and almost certainly too hard a load for the phone by itself.  Finding a simple amp to take the small jack output of the phone, and output to a full size jack with added power, is proving unsuccessful so far. Ideally I don't even want a volume control and will use the phone to control volume. The lenovo doesn't have a fixed line out, only the variable headphone output.
Plenty of amps/ampdacs and all with volume control included, but I'm just after something simpler than that. Although something like a Dragonfly might one day be purchased I'm initially just after something small and reasonably priced - I really think the Lenovo is that good it doesn't need an external DAC, just more juice for bigger cans. The Audio Technica's are very comfortable (way more than the VJays which I find very good but always seem fiddly on my head).
Anyone point me in the direction of a suitable amp? Budget to about $100.

The ATH-A900X headphone come with a 3.5mm stereo plug.
You might have the 3.5mm female to 6.35mm male plug adapter still screwed on.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Knock me down with a feather, you are of course right. I purchased the headphones some years back and they have been plugged into my headphone amp ever since. Had no idea the plug was a dual type. I've plugged them straight into the phone and my admiration for the lenovo continues, it drove the ATs very well, there was only a slight feeling that the free flowing nature of the music was being slightly hampered. For casual non audiophile type listening though it was very very good. Will  likely still get a small headphone amp and now that I know it has a miniplug the choice is opened up. The little Fiio mentioned above seems a good starting point.

Hal55

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 7
  Knock me down with a feather, you are of course right. I purchased the headphones some years back and they have been plugged into my headphone amp ever since. Had no idea the plug was a dual type. I've plugged them straight into the phone and my admiration for the lenovo continues, it drove the ATs very well, there was only a slight feeling that the free flowing nature of the music was being slightly hampered. For casual non audiophile type listening though it was very very good. Will  likely still get a small headphone amp and now that I know it has a miniplug the choice is opened up. The little Fiio mentioned above seems a good starting point.

Hal55

For your budget, you could just get a FiiO X1 DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back