Small Amp for HD650's
Mar 2, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #76 of 91
If you get the SuperMacro, you may want to consider the dip switches.

Impedence (adds 75 ohms - useful for ety 4s)
Amp (adds higher gain in case you are deaf or have super high imp phones)
Bass (for when you are in the mood or have phones that don't produce bass well)
Crossfeed (useful for old music or if music playing in one side bothers you)

Basically, all four are useful. I have the SM, but have not compared it to other amps, so I won't comment on that.

I will say I love the sound with the 627 and battery life is very good. There are some little things that have been mentioned (DC jack, small dipswitches)....go read his details, it's well written and show how much love he's put into this amp. It comes with DC adapter that he knows works with the unit (has 220V switch for UK). You even have the option of fooling the unit into being in AC power mode for what he calls "high bandwidth mode". I liked his write up so much (and the review of it here), that I bought it.

Good luck.

-Alex

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #77 of 91
Xin has a 30 day return policy, email him and ask him if for whatever reason you didn't like the amp could you get your money back minus shipping. Have the amp mail to your hotel, your friend's house etc... when you get to the states (if you're not already here in the in the states already). Shipping is ~ $5 USD one way. Cost you $10 and the cost of 8 pack of AAA batteries to find out. You have til the March 18th when you head back home plenty of time to receive and test drive it.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #78 of 91
I'd still recommend the Rega Ear. I've had mine for a few days now and it drives the Senn's brilliantly. For the price it is excellent. Plus I think it will probably be better than both of the other amps you are considering when it comes to driving the HD650s (high impedance) well. Most people who use the Gilmore seem to use Grado cans.

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #79 of 91
lordgibbness you got your Rega Ear from the UK right? Where did you get it from and at what price? You see I've only been able to find it for £150; only a slight difference from the Supermacro or Gilmore Lite. Hows the build quality of the Rega Ear, and what inputs and outputs does it have exactly?

Thanks

Mar 3, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #80 of 91
Yeah, I bought it from Lintone (they are based near Newcastle I believe - see www.lintone.co.uk). However, they don't have all of their products on the website so you will have to call them to purchase it. Audio-excellence.co.uk also stock the Rega Ear. Both shops sell it for £148 (yeah, more than it will cost in the US - but sadly that's always the case with rip-off Britain. We always seem to pay pretty much what the americans pay in dollars, but in pounds).

I guess the US version will have a different power supply, but I'm not sure whether the unit itself will be different. I imaging it will be the same. Here it is from a US site: http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...40&sku=AREGEAR "Music Direct's new budget reference."

From all the people I've talked to it is very good for the high impedance Senn's - it has a high voltage gain, which is what is required. Low impedance phones need a higher current and a lower voltage.

From a personal point of view I'd say it brings the best out of my HD600's. The base is tighter and the full range is much stronger. It can also drive them to very good volume levels. The build quality seems good - nothing rattling or loose, and made of aluminium, although the front seems to be made of plastic. It has two phono inputs, as expected, and also a line-out (so as to replace the tape-out that you may use from your amp).

I was, like you, going to buy a Gilmore Lite but the voltage problems, importing costs and the fact that the Rega is very recommended with the HD650s made me go for the Rega Ear in the end. I'm not sure what a better amp would sound like, but I am happy with my purchase. I think whatever amp you do choose make sure it can drive the Senns well. You really need to find someone who has tried the Gilmore Lite with the HD650s. I PM'd 'boodi' on a recommendation and he replied:

"If i were you i would get the Rega Ear without any double thought , I don't even feel the gilmore lite can be better then the rega ear for hd600 ( the Gilmore lite isn't this good with high imp. cans )"

Everyone using the Gilmore Lite seems to also use Grado headphones. I guess the Rega will have too much gain for the Grado cans though.

Let us know what you decide in the end...

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
Yeah, I bought it from Lintone (they are based near Newcastle I believe - see www.lintone.co.uk). However, they don't have all of their products on the website so you will have to call them to purchase it. Audio-excellence.co.uk also stock the Rega Ear. Both shops sell it for £148 (yeah, more than it will cost in the US - but sadly that's always the case with rip-off Britain. We always seem to pay pretty much what the americans pay in dollars, but in pounds).

I guess the US version will have a different power supply, but I'm not sure whether the unit itself will be different. I imaging it will be the same. Here it is from a US site: http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...40&sku=AREGEAR "Music Direct's new budget reference."

From all the people I've talked to it is very good for the high impedance Senn's - it has a high voltage gain, which is what is required. Low impedance phones need a higher current and a lower voltage.

From a personal point of view I'd say it brings the best out of my HD600's. The base is tighter and the full range is much stronger. It can also drive them to very good volume levels. The build quality seems good - nothing rattling or loose, and made of aluminium, although the front seems to be made of plastic. It has two phono inputs, as expected, and also a line-out (so as to replace the tape-out that you may use from your amp).

I was, like you, going to buy a Gilmore Lite but the voltage problems, importing costs and the fact that the Rega is very recommended with the HD650s made me go for the Rega Ear in the end. I'm not sure what a better amp would sound like, but I am happy with my purchase. I think whatever amp you do choose make sure it can drive the Senns well. You really need to find someone who has tried the Gilmore Lite with the HD650s. I PM'd 'boodi' on a recommendation and he replied:

"If i were you i would get the Rega Ear without any double thought , I don't even feel the gilmore lite can be better then the rega ear for hd600 ( the Gilmore lite isn't this good with high imp. cans )"

Everyone using the Gilmore Lite seems to also use Grado headphones. I guess the Rega will have too much gain for the Grado cans though.

Let us know what you decide in the end...

Cheers.

I own the GL + PSU, HD650s and have listened to a great deal of varied music through them from several high quality sources (G08, modded MH CD-25, etc.), as well as auditioning a Rega ear in place of the GL for several weeks as well, with both Grados (HP-1000 to SR225) and HD650s...

The GL+PSU is markedly better than the RE with both the Senns and the Grados, IMO. Better balance, extension, detail and smoother highs; the more aggressive, 'up front' signature of the GL works wonders with the laid-back Senns, IMO. But, conversely, the HP-1000s, MS-2s, PS-1s, and SR225s fare amazingly well through the GL, too. The GL is MUCH more flexible than the RE as well; Grados, Senns, and such challenging to drive cans like AKG501s and Beyer DT880s all sound great through this amp, given a HQ source (although it's been pressed into service with my 4G iPod (Line Out+Lossless files) a few times, and made the iPod source sound as good as it ever will!)...
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #82 of 91
It seems you want the GL but dont want to pay for the PS becuase it will go over your budget. However if you can find a way to squeeze extra money, buy what you really want (seems to be GL) and not look back. That way you wont have doubts and questions of 'what if?'

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #83 of 91
Ok, so it appears that Gilmore may be nice. But I wouldn't want that silly looking voltage converter on my desk, and didn't want to pay so much for the PSU. I wanted either the Gilmore Lite alone or the Rega Ear. I couldn't get the GL as I wanted and the so the Rega Ear went straight to my no1 choice. In the end it probably won't make much difference which one you choose anyway.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #84 of 91
I've decided upon the Rega Ear-since Justin at HeadAmp has too many orders to get me a Gilmore Lite before I leave the US; and theres no way I'm going to pay import tax into the UK. Basically the main reason I'm getting the Rega Ear is because its the best amp I can get easily with a UK plug, not the most worthy of reasons! But its it! I get a lot of products from the US particulary due to the exchange rate recently; but I always insist on complete compatibilty, whether it be power supply or else. So I guess I haven't found a decent enough reason to break that rule.

Whilst it would be great to just go for the Gilmore+DPSU. I have to have some limits in terms of budget-which must be set, or I could never decide.

Hey lordgibbness do you have the silver or black Ear? And did you find a massive difference with the Rega Ear compared to just your M-Audio Revolution 5.1? Plus it seems that most dealers don't have the Rega in stock they usually have to order it in which takes a few weeks. Did you have this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #85 of 91
Same reason that I went for the Rega (not that it's a bad choice, mind). It's a shame Justin doesn't use a standard power adapter as it would be a lot easier for people around the world to purchase a Gilmore Lite.

I went for the silver Ear in the end - looks more stylish in my opinion. Black always looks plasticky to me. But then again black would probably go better with my headphones. Oh well LOL.

The main difference having the amp is clearer and more pronounced bass than I had before. I mainly listen to rock/indie music and I thought my phones were kind of fuzzier than they should have been. The bass didn't thump like it does with my EX70LPs. However, using the Ear, the bass sounds better and I feel happier now I'm getting full use of my HD600s.

However, the difference wasn't massive. It wasn't like getting a new source or new headphones. It just gets the best out of them. Don't expect too too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I had to wait about four days to get my amp delivered. Mark at Lintone had to order it for me. Will you be getting it from the US though, since it's only about £120 over there?

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
I've decided upon the Rega Ear-since Justin at HeadAmp has too many orders to get me a Gilmore Lite before I leave the US; and theres no way I'm going to pay import tax into the UK. Basically the main reason I'm getting the Rega Ear is because its the best amp I can get easily with a UK plug, not the most worthy of reasons! But its it! I get a lot of products from the US particulary due to the exchange rate recently; but I always insist on complete compatibilty, whether it be power supply or else. So I guess I haven't found a decent enough reason to break that rule.

Whilst it would be great to just go for the Gilmore+DPSU. I have to have some limits in terms of budget-which must be set, or I could never decide.

Hey lordgibbness do you have the silver or black Ear? And did you find a massive difference with the Rega Ear compared to just your M-Audio Revolution 5.1? Plus it seems that most dealers don't have the Rega in stock they usually have to order it in which takes a few weeks. Did you have this problem?

Thanks a lot!

I know a dealer that has the Rega Ear in stock. PM me if you are interested.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #88 of 91
If you don't want to spend on the power supply why don't you just buy a step down transformer. They are cheap enough and will still give you the option of being able to evaluate the Gilmore.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #89 of 91
I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that the GRADO amp sounds great with the Senns! I, and others, have verified this with the battery version and HD600; not so sure about the AC and 650s. This probably wouldn't be the first choice in its price range, but if you came across a really good deal....
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #90 of 91
I'm completly taken with my X-CanV3. Great clean power with a pleasing look as well. I chose it over the Creek which had a flimsy build with less than pleasing sound, at least to my ears. The X-Can is a great entry level amp. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back