Small Amp for HD650's
Feb 26, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #61 of 91
Got the Woo 3 and I love it. About 60 hours on it and it surprises me every day. The 6922/6dj8/ecc88 etc. tubes are easy to find, albeit a little expensive for good NOS. The good thing with this tube type is that a lot of new tube CDP and preamps are using them as well. It is a single ended triode design and apprently easy to mod according to Jamato8. Mr. Wu designed it with the HD600/650's in mind and the unit is cosmetically beautiful.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #62 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
You were either trying to start something or you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Why the personal attack?

Quote:

I sure wouldn't classify someone who has turned out less than 10 amps as a reseller or even a DIYFH.

Isn't a reseller/DIYFH someone who sells products regardless of quantity? Since when did the number 10 qualify someone as a DIYFH? why not 9 or 11?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

You came to a thread where a gentleman asked if there were other manufacturers for the Gilmore

I'm sure some of the people in this thread would gladly make/sell you a Gilmore. (not the GL v2 though)

- Justin

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #63 of 91
@Apocalypse_HD650: I recently posted a thread about the Gilmore Lite vs. Corda HA-1 MkII, and someone had the good sense to point out that I'd overlooked the tax issue when importing stuff from the US. I worked out that once VAT had been added, the Gilmore + PSU came in at just over $600, whilst without the dedicated PSU it came in at just over $400.

In the end I went for a Corda HA-1 MkII which will hopefully be arriving this week. Whilst you might be lucky with customs (especially if the vendor is a little "creative" with the value of goods on the customs form), equally you might be very unlucky and have to pay the full 17.5% + whatever the shipping company's handling charge is.

FWIW, I've seen quite a few Rega Ears floating around on ebay in the last couple of months - they seem to be going around £80ish.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
Why the personal attack?

What personal attack? It was a statement of fact. You are either having a problem with your reading comprehension or just decided to start trouble. One more time in small words -> The request was for a manufacturer, the reply was that there were makers other than HeadAmp, the request was for one of them who produced more than 10, you then responded with comments that it was a DIY amp. Are you still having a problem following why your response was at best somewhat of a non sequitur?

Quote:

Isn't a reseller/DIYFH someone who sells products regardless of quantity? Since when did the number 10 qualify someone as a DIYFH? why not 9 or 11?
rolleyes.gif

No one asked or mentioned DIYFH till you came along, so dragging that into the discussion really isn't apropos. By definition a reseller sells products that other folks have produced and that was not the topic under discussion either. We're back to that reading comprehension thing again, though I'm guessing you've just decided to be argumentative for the fun of it. Cut off points for someone to be considered a manufacturer has been discussed a number of times in threads around here and about the lowest I have seen anyone suggest for a manufacturer is 10, most posters consdiered the cutoff to be higher. I was giving him every benefit of the doubt in the query and setting the cutoff low...

Quote:

I'm sure some of the people in this thread would gladly make/sell you a Gilmore. (not the GL v2 though)

You mean folks that are buying onesies and twosies? Once again repeat after me, the discussion in this thread was initiated by a gentleman in search of a manufacturer. They really don't qualify as a manufacturer now do they?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
How much would a top Supermacro cost according to the variable configurations set out on the Xin website and considering that it would be for the 650's?
http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/index.htm

How does this amp compare to the Gilmore Lite, SR-71, Rega Ear, Headroom Little, and Porta Corda MK2?

Thanks

$354.95 USD shipped within USA. I just received my unit yesterday.

SuperMacro $249.99
4 Switch Option 49.99
2X buf634 soldered on 9.99
OPA 627 39.99
S/H 4.99

Total $354.95

Can't tell you how it compares to other units because I never heard them before. I was also considering the SR-71 but it doesn't have an external power supply option and the SuperMacro also has the 4 switch control which allows control of Impedance, Amp Gain, Bass Boost and Xinfeed (Crossfeed), which only 2 switches I would only use would be bass boost and crossfeed. It's a nice compact unit and it sounds great. I can't give you a full review because I just got the unit like I said yesterday. The only things I didn't like about the unit is:

I wish the DC power access port on the unit be moved away a tad bit from headphone OUT port, if you have a stubby headphone jack, you can't plug the DC plug and the headphone jack at the same time. Xin does sell an extension jack with a slim profile for $9.99 to remedy this.

The other issue is again with access to the Bass Boost switch, if you have a stubby interconnect jack it's difficult to access the Bass Boost switch ON.

I guess Dr. Xin moved the switches and ports as far apart as he could with his design?

I would have purchased the SR-71 if it had an external power option. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #68 of 91
gpalmer, I'm done arguing with you in this thread.

- Justin

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

How much would a top Supermacro cost according to the variable configurations set out on the Xin website and considering that it would be for the 650's?
http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/index.htm

How does this amp compare to the Gilmore Lite, SR-71, Rega Ear, Headroom Little, and Porta Corda MK2?

Thanks

I have both the PCII and SM to use with my HD600. The PCII is running on a 9V rechargeable with mode A turned on. Comparing to the SM with OPA627s, the PCII has more air, darker and very laid back. Personally, I prefer the SM over the PCII for use with the HD600. The SM is brighter, faster, more up front, more detailed and give a little liveliness to the laid back HD600. I have also tried the 8610s and OPA227s with the SM. The 8610s worked fine with the HD600 but make the Grado SR225 too bright for my taste. The OPA227s are more laid back but not as much as the PCII. It works well with the Grado but a bit too dark for the HD600.

The default configuration SM is the closest to the PCII. If you don't care about the switches, you can get a socketted version with 2x buffer and OPA227s for $260. If the OPA227s are too laid back for you, you can always drop in some OPA627/637s in the future. Free samples can be requested from TI.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #70 of 91
I'm heading into the US tomorrow and still have not made a firm decision regarding my headphone amplifier. I've once again narrowed it down to:

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite with voltage converter for the UK. Total $334=£174
Xin Supermacro with 2x BUF634 soldered on and OPA627 soldered on, plus DC jack extender.I can't be bothered with the switches since none of them will be any use to me. Geniuinely portable. Total $315=£164
Headroom Little, no UK power adapter problems. But is it crap compared to the other 3? Total $269=£140
Rega Ear, UK based but much cheaper in US. In the UK I can get this for £150=$288. In the US I can get this for $180=£94, but only in 110V, so I would once again need a voltage converter.

I'm completely fed up now; If I don't decide soon certain builders won't have time to make it for me.

Thanks again

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

I'm heading into the US tomorrow and still have not made a firm decision regarding my headphone amplifier. I've once again narrowed it down to:

Xin Supermacro with 2x BUF634 soldered on and OPA627 soldered on, plus DC jack extender.I can't be bothered with the switches since none of them will be any use to me. Geniuinely portable. Total $315=£164
Headroom Little, no UK power adapter problems. But is it crap compared to the other 3? Total $269=£140
Rega Ear, UK based but much cheaper in US. In the UK I can get this for £150=$288. In the US I can get this for $180=£94, but only in 110V, so I would once again need a voltage converter.

I'm completely fed up now; If I don't decide soon certain builders won't have time to make it for me.

Thanks again

Gilmore and SM both winners. SM is portable Gilmore isn't. The clock is ticking...how long will you be in the states?

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #72 of 91
Until at least 12th of March, or maybe longer 17th. Yeah I thought it would end up between those two. The Supermacro seems the better feature based option, and although portability is not critical its a nice bonus. But in terms of quality is the Gilmore Lite better than the Macro since theres very little in it price wise?

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Until at least 12th of March, or maybe longer 17th. Yeah I thought it would end up between those two. The Supermacro seems the better feature based option, and although portability is not critical its a nice bonus. But in terms of quality is the Gilmore Lite better than the Macro since theres very little in it price wise?

I asked how long you were going to be in the states because I assume you probably would want to take delivery of the goods while you were in the states. My Xin SM was delivered in 3 business days. Xin is in CA and I'm on the East coast in Boston, Massachusetts. Xin sents his units out regularly via USPS priority mail but he does offer other shipping options, overnight etc...

Can't comment on the Gilmore Lite but everyone in the forum highly praises it.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

gpalmer, I'm done arguing with you in this thread.

- Justin

gpalmer's right. Re-read and learn a thing or two. BTW, you never did actually get to * argue * with him. Another reason to simmer down and read. Headamp, IMO, is the ONLY source of reliable, top-quality, well supported GLs around, and I speak from personal experience.

Try not to waste time protecting a position for which you have only attitude as backup; just enjoy learning from those on these forums, like gpalmer, who've forgotten more about this stuff than everything I KNOW about this stuff...believe me, you'll have a LOT more fun...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #75 of 91

There is literally nothing between these two in terms of price so which is better!? Which one should I go for?
Common sense points towards the Supermacro as theres no voltage issue, its portable, can use AC power as well as batteries etc. But the simplicity and desgn of the gilmore lite also appeals to me. But critically the Gilmore seems top have unanimous acclaim-I just don't want to save £10 if the gilmore is significantly better than the supermacro, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back