SM58 192khz recording - EMU 0404 USB or Audiophile 192 + Preamp?
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EddC

New Head-Fier
Hi all! first time posting here so go easy on me
wink.gif
was just wondering if someone could help with a dilemma of mine...

Recently, my Creative X-Fi Platinum refused to record anything from the mic (SM58) without clipping/distortion:

mic3.jpg

mic1.jpg

After performing various tests with different mics/cables/drivers and a clean install of XP, I decided the microphone capabilities were probably busted.

So, I decided to get a new soundcard or interface to either replace the X-Fi, or be used alongside it just for recording vocals. I've been recording in Adobe Audition in 192khz, so whatever option I go with, I still need the 192khz support.

After doing a bit of research, the EMU 0404 USB looks pretty good (and everyone seems to love it around here) but would I get better vocal recording quality from say, an M-Audio Audiophile 192 combined with an M-Audio DMP3 preamp?

Cheers!

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Why the HELLLLLLLL would you record with an SM58 at 192kHz???????????????

44.1 is already overkill for an SM58!
The difference between soundcards is ten times smaller than the difference between sm58 and pretty much anything else.
Any of the options you cited are good enough. Certainly for such a mic.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 8
I just got an SM58 -- plugged it into my 0404 USB and it's SUPER quiet. At full volume, I have to really shout into the mic to hear anything - shouting quite loud barely makes the -18dB light turn on with the volume set to +85db on the 0404.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your recording level set in windows?

I'm on a mac and there isn't one - it's an 0404 USB, the recording level is set on the device itself via a gain knob.

There is a virtual recording level in Soundtrack Pro (part of Final Cut Studio) that I set to maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back