SM3 or SR71?
May 29, 2005 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Runningwater

100+ Head-Fier
Actually, I am considering a SS amp for my low impedance headphone. But none of them come to be perfect to me. So I would like to buy a portable amp now, SM3 or SR71? Which one is better to driver my RS1 and W2002?
Waiting for your suggestions
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

May 29, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Not telling you which to buy since I haven't heard both yet (will soon)- but I have the SM3, and certainly it's biggest competitive advantage from my perspective is the fact that between op amp swapping and the 4 option switches, it is an insanely versatile and easilly customizable amp. And it's smaller...

May 29, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 16
As for as asking this question to us concerning the SMV3. Why not go to Xin's web forum as ask him directly how his little amp would drive these headphones. www.fixup.net is think is the correct web url and click on the link to the cool talk for the forum.

I do not think you could lose with either of these amps. I have the SMV3 BTW.

Slwiser

May 29, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

So I would like to buy a portable amp now

So are you actually going to be walking around listening with your RS1's or do you want an amp to take from one place ot another? If walking around and listening I would go with the SM V3 due to its size but if stationed at one place or another then either would do a fine job. I have not read of either amp having difficulty driving most headphones. After that, it gets down to taste and what you feel you are hearing or not hearing and which amp is doing that for you.

John

May 29, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
So are you actually going to be walking around listening with your RS1's or do you want an amp to take from one place ot another? If walking around and listening I would go with the SM V3 due to its size but if stationed at one place or another then either would do a fine job. I have not read of either amp having difficulty driving most headphones. After that, it gets down to taste and what you feel you are hearing or not hearing and which amp is doing that for you.

John

Thanks john, I got your idea.
k1000smile.gif

May 30, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 16
I had both and didn't end up using either one b/c I found that I like being minimalist when I go portable. Nevertheless, they are both very impressive amps. Not quite as good as my dedicated home amp, but certainly nothing to complain about.

My opinion is that the SR-71 has a marginally cleaner and more powerful sound. If simplicity is ok with you and you want an amp that really hits the mark when it comes to sound quality, I would pick the SR-71. That being said, the SM v3 holds its own in terms of sound quality and some will prefer its sound. The features available on the SMv3 really were the deciding factor for me in my initial decision to keep the SMv3 over the SR-71.

May 31, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I had both and didn't end up using either one b/c I found that I like being minimalist when I go portable. Nevertheless, they are both very impressive amps. Not quite as good as my dedicated home amp, but certainly nothing to complain about.

My opinion is that the SR-71 has a marginally cleaner and more powerful sound. If simplicity is ok with you and you want an amp that really hits the mark when it comes to sound quality, I would pick the SR-71. That being said, the SM v3 holds its own in terms of sound quality and some will prefer its sound. The features available on the SMv3 really were the deciding factor for me in my initial decision to keep the SMv3 over the SR-71.

What is your home amp, btw?

-Matt

May 31, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 16
Right now, an MPX3 in a $2500 configuration. It really is in a different league IMO, however not everyone likes tube amps. I have an EAR V20 on the way.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I sure hope it's in a different league, at that price...

tongue.gif

-Matt

Not to hi-jack this thread but that MPX3 is one fine amp!

My SR-71 sounds great with my 507 Meridian and I have heard it with Rays G08, a $4500.00 CD. player and is sounds greater yet. It is a great portable amp that can also if needed be used as a home amp. it is that good.

But you can't go wrong with either one.

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 16
ROFL
icon10.gif

ya gotta love it . . .

Thread title: SM3 or SR71?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningwater
Thanks everyone, at last I decide to go for a Grace M902!
tongue.gif

Now, in the interest of curiosity and such, why did you diverge from the two in the thread and go in a different direction?

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

ROFL

ya gotta love it . . .

Thread title: SM3 or SR71?

Just a bit of a different direction and little to do with either amp except it does amplify and uses electricity.

It will require a larger pocket to carry it around. I just wanted you to be aware of this.

John

Jun 2, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
ROFL
icon10.gif

Now, in the interest of curiosity and such, why did you diverge from the two in the thread and go in a different direction?

Actually,I dont need amp for portalbe use. I just need a good SS amp. I am told that SR71 and SM3 are better than more expensive SS amp. Seems it's not totally true
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningwater
Actually,I dont need amp for portalbe use. I just need a good SS amp. I am told that SR71 and SM3 are better than more expensive SS amp. Seems it's not totally true
confused.gif
confused.gif

Yes but you went from a budget of $395.00 to $1595.00. Thats a big jump
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back