SM3/iPod Case Design
May 20, 2005 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
If you have both an iPod and an SM3 and are interested in acquiring a custom case for them, let’s brainstorm a design and try to find someone to manufacture the thing. There’s something mildly depressing about holding our $1,000-plus portable rigs together with a rubberband, doncha think?

I envision something like a basic Vaja case with a similarly shaped addition to the back to hold the SM3. In fact, I emailed Vaja this morning to see if they would consider making a one-off for me. Being the nice folks they are, they quickly responded that they no longer do custom orders beyond the bells-and-whistles additions on their site.

If anyone has any design ideas or potential manufacturer contacts let’s explore them. Perhaps we can come up with the finery this dynamic duo deserves.
etysmile.gif

May 20, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
If you have both an iPod and an SM3 and are interested in acquiring a custom case for them, let’s brainstorm a design and try to find someone to manufacture the thing. There’s something mildly depressing about holding our $1,000-plus portable rigs together with a rubberband, doncha think?

I envision something like a basic Vaja case with a similarly shaped addition to the back to hold the SM3. In fact, I emailed Vaja this morning to see if they would consider making a one-off for me. Being the nice folks they are, they quickly responded that they no longer do custom orders beyond the bells-and-whistles additions on their site.

If anyone has any design ideas or potential manufacturer contacts let’s explore them. Perhaps we can come up with the finery this dynamic duo deserves.
etysmile.gif

i'd be in for one. i am awaiting my SM3, as well as a WaterField gear pouch to hold the pair. the design is great for organization within my work bag, but won't be so good when i am other than commuting to work. also, it won't be userfriendly for doing much control of the ipod.

so this new case should, ideally, allow for control of the ipod and the amp. so a "double-sided" vaja-like case is a good design starting point. but what about the sik-din or pocketdock+interconnect? it may look a bit bizzare to have a great case design with the plug and cord hanging an inch plus below.

how about a case that is really a dock at the bottom... the ipod fits down into the case, and attaches to the dock connector. a wire is run through the fabric of the container from this "dock" to the top where a small cord with plug exits to perfectly line up with the SM3 input.

wishful thinking i'm sure... but what if the case is tall enough to allow the sik ram to be attached to the ipod inside the case, with a hole in the material seperating the two comparments to allow the mini plug and cord to run up the inside of the amp side and into the input? this way there is nothing, other than the headphone cable, protruding beyond the dimensions of the case?

cheers,
phil

May 20, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
so this new case should, ideally, allow for control of the ipod and the amp. so a "double-sided" vaja-like case is a good design starting point. but what about the sik-din or pocketdock+interconnect? it may look a bit bizzare to have a great case design with the plug and cord hanging an inch plus below.

how about a case that is really a dock at the bottom... the ipod fits down into the case, and attaches to the dock connector. a wire is run through the fabric of the container from this "dock" to the top where a small cord with plug exits to perfectly line up with the SM3 input.

wishful thinking i'm sure... but what if the case is tall enough to allow the sik ram to be attached to the ipod inside the case, with a hole in the material seperating the two comparments to allow the mini plug and cord to run up the inside of the amp side and into the input? this way there is nothing, other than the headphone cable, protruding beyond the dimensions of the case?

There are some good ideas there, CP. Trust me, you're gonna love the SM3. Despite all the almost outlandish accolades, I'm finding that it deserves them all.

There were detailed discussions concerning the lineout versus the headphone output on iPods a couple of years ago. The particulars escape me now, but the upshot was that they are both of exactly the same high quality--that the lineout is simply the same as the headphone out at max output. Whether this is true or not I can't say, but I can say that actually listening to both I can discern no difference. I've fed both into my HA-2 and they sound identical to me. I use my Apple dock simply for the convenience it provides by holding the iPod upright. For this reason I use the headphone output with my SM3. I also use a Straightwire M-M for it's unusually slim and flexible design even though I have better (or at least more expensive) cables. IMO, this makes for an equally good and far more compact package. Try it when your SM3 arrives and see if you agree. I wanted another dock and so have a PocketDock on order. I'll try that as well.

I like to carry my rig in my shirt pocket, though I sometimes use a couple of other cases (Headroom and CaseLogic) when that isn't appropriate. "Shirt-pocket-sized" presents a fairly formidable design restriction, so I may have to give that one up.

If we decide the lineout connector is a must, I think your idea concerning internal cable routing is important. Even using the headphone out and Straightwire mini, there still has to be a small amount of room in the amp side of the case to stuff the excess ten or so inches of cable.

Someone said that a camel is a horse designed by a committee. Let's hope we don't come to a similar end in this little enterprise.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back