SM-3 has stopped recharging!
May 31, 2005 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
Well, last night, my SM-3 died. I found out that the rechargable battery is dead. I have replaced the battery with a non-rechargable one and it is working.
I have tried to put the rechargable back in and charge it for overnight. It didn't seem to recharge. This sucks real bad. I don't know how come it's like this.

May 31, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Have you exhausted the rechargeable batteries?

There is a limit to how much you can recharge them.

If you were using it every day with highly draining op amps, it's possible that this happened.

-Matt

May 31, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 9
The rechargable battery is fine. I have tried to charge them with a regular charger. It has to be the supermacro.

May 31, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Someone at Xin's Support site has posted a similar problem:
Problem with SM3 and adapter!

Excerpt...
"... the second diode from the right bottom was burned out. When you use a REGULATED AC adapter, the initial charging current could be too high (especially if the batteries were overly discharged) and blew that diode. This diode is different than others, for the purpose of reducing charging hum.

This diode is there just for such protection. When it is broken, it just disconnects external power and the amp is fully protected. The amp still performances 100% with batteries. You just cannot use external power..."

I suggest you post your problem at Xin's support forum, and good Luck!

May 31, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Based on my experience with SM, I found the following situations may also cause the recharge issue:

1. Battery contact. Reload the batteries and tighten up the screws might help;
2. Let the led light on while charging. I don't know why, in this way, it takes forever to have the batteries fully charged; To fix it, just turn off the power switch when charging.

Good luck

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 9
And last but not least is that the extension DC cable has to be inserted firmly to create a proper contact.

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 9
I have found a similar problem with my SM3. I recently took the amp with me on a trip and found that the batteries died after 3-4 hours. I replaced them with alkalines as I didn't bring the charger with me. I just now unpacked my portable kit and am trying to recharge the batteries. I'll let them charge over night and see what happens tomorrow. I also posted this on Xin's forums. You can check that thread out here:

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=879

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 9
The only time I've had trouble recharging my SM-3 is when using the charger extension cable... it's just a tiny bit short, and easily loses the connection, but there is no easy way to tell if it's seated well.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Reading the threads on xin's site, it looks like some folks have blown a diode by using a regulated power supply, and others have zapped their sm3 with the exposed tip of the included ac adaptor.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back