SLR cameras
Jan 27, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #31 of 44
So, I'll put these items in my next shopping trip to the camera shop.

1. Kodak cleaning cloth and solution
2. Lenspen
3. Glass protective UV filter

and I will NEVER touch the Shutter Curtain and ignore the dust, I already have a small camera bag (padded) that'll carry the camera + 2 small lenses + a few films.

Lastly - Russ, you've been so helpful an I like to thank you again.

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #33 of 44
I have to thank Audio&me too, for bringing the UV filter to my attension.

btw, you are only 10 post behind me and you only joint last month! that's like 15+ post per day! I've been here since day one!

And, who knows where I can get the battery pack BP-300 for the EOS 300 on the net? They go for $70 over here in England.

Jan 28, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #34 of 44
Russ, I'd like to thank you for a very informative thread for those of us relatively new to photography. Before I saw this thread I was convinced that my next lens would be a big zoom (like a 70-200 or 300), but reading your posts has made me realize that while some extra magnification would be nice, most of my shots are done around 50mm so I'd be much better of getting a 50mm lens and maybe getting a longer fixed lens (105 or 135) later on. And the 50mm is much cheaper than a decent zoom, has sharper picture quality, and at f1.8 will get rid of one of my biggest gripes about my current lens - I need lots of light to shoot indoor shots without flash, as the maximum aperture is 3.5 (and that's only available at 28mm, zoom in and it quickly steps up from 4-5.6).

So I think I'll pocket 20 bucks a week and get myself the 50mm f1.8 and be a happy camper for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again for your generous help.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
My favorite lens is the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor Ai-S, which happens to be the one I use. =P

And speaking of that pre-AF lens, it will fit on all current AF Nikon bodies - but only the mid- and upper-level Nikon AF bodies will have any metered operation whatsoever with pre-AF lenses, and those bodies (with pre-AF lenses) will function in aperture-priority autoexposure or metered manual modes, with no "Matrix" metering (only centerweighted and spot metering are available), and no autofocus (DUH!).

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #38 of 44
Well, I use a manual camera anyway, FM2 Millenium Edition. But I've heard that the AF versions are just as good as the Ai-S, this info was drilled into me by local camera shop guys... I had to tell them to leave me alone, lol.

Jan 29, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #39 of 44
Gyah! If I were to buy a NEW FM2 or FM3a body, it would cost me more than 600 freakin' dollars - for the body only, no lens!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Adam, where did you get the BP-200 for $20? can I get that on the net and if so where?

Actually, I lied.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's $29.95 at www.bhphotovideo.com (but still very much worth the price). B&H is probably the best online photo retailer you're going to find, and it helps that they have very good prices. I bought both the EOS300 and the BP200 from them, as well as several lens filters and a nice tripod. Excellent service.

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #43 of 44
I've been buying from B&H photo for years and have visited their New York retail location several times. Their prices always seem good and I've never had a problem.

I highly suggest you ask for a copy of their huge catalogue. It contains nearly every camera and accessory available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back