Slowing down a CD ? Possible ?
Dec 15, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lamplighter

New Head-Fier
Hello all- I recently picked up a CD that was made from an old vinyl album but it seems that when the LP was played it was spinning at around 39rpm or so and now when I play the CD in a normal player the music obviously sounds a bit sped up, nothing drastic but I would like to have it sounding like it should.
I am wondering if there exists a computer program in which I could transfer the music off the CD into said program and have the option to adjust the speed where I would like to slow down the music a bit and then make a new CD of the slowed down music ???
I have no idea if such a thing is possible but I have to ask.

Cheers for any help !!!!!

LL-
600smile.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 8
there are PROBABLY computer programs that will do this. i am actually certain that creative used to package one with their soundcards, and mp3 players. be forewarned they often sound like crappppp.

some OLDER cd players and ones made for studio purposes have a speed control (or so the rumor goes.) nice to fit 2 minutes of music into 1min50sec of play time...

edited:
you may have better success with audacity or some of the DEDICATED music "working" software than the creative stuff i mentioned above. i mention audacity because its free.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for the information nikon...
I have also heard of CD players with a pitch control so I am under the assumption that there must be something available I guess it's
just a matter of searching.
I have heard of audacity but have never downloaded it so I will give it a try.

Thanks again, LL-
600smile.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 8
wouldnt the cd version be the correct speed though? since it was pressed at the standardized CD bit rate. Or is it just a personal preference thing you are looking for?

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 8
What happened was this was a recording by a standard CD recorder of a vinyl record and when the guy with the record played the LP to record it the pitch on his turntable was set very high and the CD records exactly what it hears, in this case a 33 1/3 rpm record played at around 39 rpm.
Now when the CD is played the CD is not sped up just the recorded music was sped up, I'm just trying to figure out a way to make a copy of the CD with the music slowed down a bit.
Still researching !!!!
Cheers, LL-

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 8
The first CD player I ever bought (in the early/mid eighties) had a pitch control. I remember thinking "why would I ever need that ?". I googled "wav file change pitch" and a bunch of programs came up. Unfortunately we have an Internet filter here at work so most of the links didn't work for me. I doubt you will have a problem finding something.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok, this solution might not be the best sonicly nor easy to use, but you could try a DJ-software, which allows you to adjust the pitch (just like dj-lp/cd-players) and then record the output.

I havent use it for a while, but I recall with Native Instrument's Traktor software you can do that, for example.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Audacity Will do it.

First rip your CD.

Load the each wav track into audacity (one at the time)

Edit->select all

Effect -> Change Speed

With the the change speed you can only input a percentage or predefine vinyl ratio; However if you click on Change tempo you can calculate from a Beat per minute change.

If you put in as BPM (39x3) 117 to (33 1/3 x 3) 100 it will calculate the percentage to -14.530
(they don't accept fraction hence the 3x Or you can simply input 390000 and 333333)

Then Press cancel Changing tempo only slow down the music without changing the pitch. Then go to change speed and input -14.530 as percent

Save.

Do it again for the other track

Burn your new cd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back