Sloan Wainwright "Cool Morning"
Jan 30, 2004 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
I was just gonna post this in the "What are you listening to right now" thread, but it just sorta got wordy. So I thought it worth it's own thread.

cd-cool225.jpg

I had the pleasure of being introduced to Ms. Wainwright's wonderful voice, at a benefit concert at the NWCA last fall. And just a few weeks ago I attended a solo dance performance by Peter Pucci (of Pilobolus fame) at the Joyce Theatre in NY where Sloan accompanied the dance numbers by singing live. The musical material were abstracts based on Chopin's Nocturnes, with Ms. Wainwright performing various vocalise. Quite different from her regular music. I only mention all of this to display her artistic range. She is also the sister of Loudon Wainwright, btw (although with quite a different musical style).

Anyway, if you are looking for an incredible 'new' female singer/songwriter vocal artist, then look no further. With her deep, smooth, soulful voice, she reminds me a lot of another of my favs, Julia Fordham - both of whom are quite reminiscent of the incredible Joni Mitchell in style (and I don't throw that around lightly, believe me). With "Cool Morning", Sloan seems more romantic than ever, with less contemporary rock-folk material than in her previous efforts. "Where the Streets Have No Name" is my favorite, and tugs on my heart. "From Where You Are" is a close second.

Her older stuff (of which I am not so familiar) is available from Amazon, but this album is not up there yet, and you can only get it directly thru her website at the moment. While she is a bit out of the mainstream, it is well worth the effort to get some of her stuff - this newest CD in particular, imo. For more info: http://www.sloanwainwright.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back