Slipknot won a Grammy? What?
Feb 9, 2006 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
Even though I feel the Grammy awards are a joke to begin with, I still find it very hard to believe that Slipknot won one for best metal performance. I'm sorry Slipknot fans, but Slipknot is terrible. Just terrible. There are so many better bands who made much better songs, and none of them were nominated. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
lol@caring about the grammy awards

ROFLOL!!!!

I don't really follow them anymore. They have become too commercial.
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
That's still not as bad as Jethro Tull winning the first metal Grammy.

ahahahahah
and I'm Jethro Tull lover

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 44
FIELD 17 - POLKA

Category 74 - Best Polka Album

Shake, Rattle And Polka!
Jimmy Sturr And His Orchestra
[Rounder]

Eddie Blazonczyk's Versatones got ROBBED. No way Shake, Rattle and Polka was better...........

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 44
Slipknot beat Ministry? System of a Down over Robert Plant and Nine Inch Nails? Kanye West over Fiddy? The Grammy's voters obviously have poor taste in music.

Side note: I like how 4 of the 5 albums nominated for Best Hawaiian Album have "Slack Key" or "Slack Key Guitar" in the title.

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
That's still not as bad as Jethro Tull winning the first metal Grammy.

What's wrong with that???
confused.gif
Jethro Tull was, and still is, considered Metal!

Come on guys, who cares about the Grammy's? I'd say that almost every band that DOES win a Grammy ends up being pretty much terrible now-a-days (in the pop music section, of course). Around the late nineties, the Grammy's became just a marketing and economic exploit. Today, the instrumental/jazz/world/classical Grammy's hold some credibility (there's no doubt that Les Paul deserved the awards he won - same with Pat Metheny). You won't see Kenny G. winning any Grammy's any time soon.
wink.gif

But if you're looking at the pop categories, like pop, rock, metal, and hip-hop/rap/whatever, and thinking that the judges are actually forming these awards through their opinion that they are the BEST OF THE BEST, then you're dead wrong. Quit while you're ahead, or they may just end up infecting all of the other still somewhat pure categories!
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 44
Also how did Green Day win ROTY when A.I came out in 04?
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Jethro Tull was, and still is, considered Metal!

The trouble with Tull winning the first metal Grammy is that they beat out Metallica for the trophy. At the time, Metallica was, without question, the leading sound in heavy metal and formed the blue print for everything that has come in metal since, and all fans of metal that continued to pay attention to the development of the genre after Ozzy left Black Sabbath understood this. The Grammy voters giving it to Jethro Tull demonstrated an obvious disconnect with what was going on in the scene.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
Also how did Green Day win ROTY when A.I came out in 04?
confused.gif

Yeah that confused the hell out of me. And what's the difference between Album of the year and Record of the year?
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 44
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB WON!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Grammy's always have been a joke, always will be. Just look up the winners of the '60s and '70s to see how ass-backward they've always been. In the history of their music, they've been near-correct about five times; Sergeant Peppers, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Innervisions, Joshua Tree, and there may not even be a fifth.

It's gotten even worse in recent years. I guess for viewership they have to appeal to the most popular albums, so it's always just going to be simplistic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus songs.

Quote:

Yeah that confused the hell out of me. And what's the difference between Album of the year and Record of the year?

Single vs. album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back