SlimX IMP-400 power Senn HD280's?
Jun 18, 2003 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Haoleb

100+ Head-Fier
Monday i just ordered my new portable cdp, An Iriver SlimX IMP-400 and anxiously await getting it tomorrow, but i wanted to find out if anyone can tell me if the 400 can power headphones like the Sennheiser HD280's. I hear mixed reviews on the output, some say its weak, some say its plenty. in a few weeks i will be going to audition headphones and the 280 is high on my list and im curious if the Iriver can handle them to decent volumes. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 18
i think 400 can easily drive HD280 (64Ohms).... although i don't have either... but my 550 can drive my PortaPro (60Ohms) to insane listening level....
biggrin.gif
Enjoy ur new player...
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by [so]hai®
i think 400 can easily drive HD280 (64Ohms).... although i don't have either... but my 550 can drive my PortaPro (60Ohms) to insane listening level....
biggrin.gif
Enjoy ur new player...
wink.gif

Are you kidding that 550 can drive 600 ohm load?
confused.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 18
well, it looks like i wont be intersted in the senn's anymore because i just won a pair of grado sr125's in a drawing today. I still dont know if i will need an amp for them though, i will have to wait and see when they get here. But if they do im thinking of building a grado ra-1 or maybe getting the headroom airhead amp. what do ya think.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 18
I just got my IMP-400. This thing ROCKS! It has soo many features and stuff its endless and it just plain kicks butt. Using my 32 ohm SONY MDR-CD180 headphones with this it gets more than loud enough at around 20. I cant wait till i get the Grado's and see if it will drive them. since theyre also 32 ohms i think it will drive them no prob. im so glad i got this its soo much better than my old portable which was a sony D-E441 which doesnt really work because the cd holder thing is broken which allows the cd to wobble. Just put a cd in and put it in its case and use it. Having the controls on the remote as opposed to on the actual player is way better. im just very happy and i got it at a great price. 150 bucks. 170 shipped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Haoleb
well, it looks like i wont be intersted in the senn's anymore because i just won a pair of grado sr125's in a drawing today. I still dont know if i will need an amp for them though, i will have to wait and see when they get here. But if they do im thinking of building a grado ra-1 or maybe getting the headroom airhead amp. what do ya think.

What drawing was this? Shoot... I woulda wanted in...

Jun 21, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Haoleb
im so glad i got this its soo much better than my old portable which was a sony D-E441 which doesnt really work because the cd holder thing is broken which allows the cd to wobble.

I have exactly the same problem with a couple of years old sony PCDP.
The anti skip hardly works anymore because of it and when the CD is a bit curved (or what you call a CD when the disk is not completly flat) I always think it's gonna lift off. The player starts shaking like there's no tommorow. Those CD's often wont play.
I guess it's a sony 'the crappy years' problem.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 18
the worst part is that it pops right off and is about a 5 cent peice to fix. now that that peice broke, my player that works just fine besides that is now useless. If anyone has an old broken player and that part is still intact and they dont need it i do!. even though i got a new one, its a waste to just not useit because of that peice.

Jun 21, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 18
First it popped off with me too and i glued it back. not long after that the plastic thingies started to break and fall off. now it only has three metal things to keep the cd in place.

maybe you can try to glue it back too. it helps a bit...

Jun 21, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 18
two of the plastic things broke off and one of the metal bearings is missing. It stays on the spindle but it just doesnt hold cds. If you can get them to balance enough you might make it through the first couple songs as long as you dont move the player, but by the time the lens reaches the outer areas of the disc where it wobbles more it becomes un readable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back