SlimX iMP-350 Hissing problem
Dec 12, 2002 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xxphunnixx

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem..

There is a noticable amount of hiss on the headphone out.. no hiss in line out, just in headphone out..

Do I have a defective set? Can any other imp-350 owners relate?

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes, it hisses.

However, the perceived level of hiss depends very much on the sensitivity and tonal balance of the headphones. With the MX500s and PX200s I only notice the hiss in a silent room when the music stops or in a VERY quiet piece of music, though generally there will be far more microphone hiss and room noise on a recording when the musicians stop than amp hiss from the SlimX.

With the HD600s and super-mini amp, I notice no noise.

With the ATH-EM7s, I notice a lot of noise, in a quiet room, and it is quite annoying. However, the EM7s are themselves annoyingly poor headphones, so I don't use them, and am therefore not annoyed by the hiss
biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm convinced the headphone out and line out are the same except for perhaps the output impedance.

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmm.. i dunno.. i notice a HUGE difference between headphone out and line out in terms of hissing..

i've listened to it on my mx500 and SR-60.. i know hiss is not the recording because there's still same loud noticable hiss when on pause mode.. hissing is so loud to the point that i feel like i'm listening to a tape..

i'm beginning to think i have a defective set..

do you think there will be any sound quality loss if i just hook my headphones in to line out? i'm wondering if line out has enough juice to drive those two headphones..

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 10
xxphunnixx,

Try hooking your headphones to the headphone out on the unit itself, not to the remote. On my SlimX, the quality of the sound coming out of the unit's headphone out is much better than coming out of the remote.

I believe the circuitry of the remote is what is producing the hissing that people are hearing.

Try it and see if it makes a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

David

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 10
oops.. forgot to tell you.. i tried that.. it's not the remote..

with my old sony MDs, i remember that was the cause of the hiss.. but this time, the noise is much more significant.. and hiss is present right out from the headphone out..

from what i'm reading, i guess my unit's the only one with the problem... :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Does the hiss happen when you play MP3s, CDs, or both?

And no, you're not the only one who has reported this problem. I haven't experienced it, but I play only CDs (no mp3s). I thought perhaps it might be an mp3-related problem.

Have you downloaded to the latest firmware?

Dec 13, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 10
It happens whether its mp3 cd, normal cd, radio.. the hiss is present as soon as i turn it on.. when iRiver logo pops up...

i read up on new firmware.. mentions nothing about fixing the hissing problem.. i'll give it a shot anyways..

Dec 14, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Try as I might I can't hear any hiss with my MX500s and SlimX. Now my house isn't completely silent, but it is as quiet as it will get since it is night time and the family is asleep. So if the hiss is as loud as you say, your unit must be defective. Sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back