Slimdevices Transporter Review
Feb 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #78 of 83
I did some tests a week ago comparing my SB3 and DAC1 to my Arcam CD33 ($2.5k retail). The differences to me were so minor that I decided to sell the CD33. Then I managed to get my hands on a Transporter, so I sold the DAC1. I won't be able to do direct comparisons with the CD player, but so far I definitely don't consider the Transporter to be lacking in any way.

I also like using it as a two-channel pre-pro for my PS3 and cable box.

My other gear is Arcam (C31 pre and P1 monoblocks) with PMC FB1+ speakers, wired with Moon Audio Black Dragon cables.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #81 of 83
Wow am i glad i saw this thread. I just finshed setting up my speaker rig and was thinking how nice it would be to be able to play all my FLAC's on my computer. Now are you guys doing it through USB or Wi-Fi for those who own it? Also how do you like the cd text, or do you make playlists then listen to it like that?

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #82 of 83
I saw where someone recommended that you use the hardwired ethernet connection instead of the wireless option. Is there a sonic, or other specific advantage to this? I can go either way, since it will be in very close proximity to both my primary pc, and the equipment that I will be connecting the Transporter to.

JC

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw where someone recommended that you use the hardwired ethernet connection instead of the wireless option. Is there a sonic, or other specific advantage to this? I can go either way, since it will be in very close proximity to both my primary pc, and the equipment that I will be connecting the Transporter to.

JC

Hardwired is the way to go if it works for you. Less to go wrong. Wireless often has issues of its own, that are not Transporter related. If they work , they should both sound the same since they are transferring data that is decoded in the Transporter. Wireless dropouts due to 2.4Ghz 'phones, Microwaves, interference from other wireless networks etc ultimately may lead to an empty buffer - and thus no music. There is a network testing plugin that allows you to check out what sustained data rate you can get on your network. You are lucky to have the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back