Slim Devices' Transporter from Logitech
Jul 26, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it wasn't available for a long time in this country so I went for a Stello DA220MKII. But I have the Duet running to my Stello for a few weeks now. It's an excellent combination: it has all the advantages of the TP (network, balanced, etc.), plus the nice remote of the Duet. Only disadvantage is that you have to buy a coax cable.

I am so happy I didn't order the Transporter! Now I have 2 Squeezeboxes, which means I can stream music upstairs and downstairs. Thanks for the advice again!

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

As you can see there's 2 types of Signature 30.2's: Red Wine Audio Products
The one with a big extra knob is the one with a built-in pre-amp. There's no bypass for the pre-amp stage, an additional pre-amp with the associated connectors + cable in the chain can not lead to a improvement.

A pre-amp has several functions:
1. input selector
2. amplification (increase voltage if needed)
3. volume regulation
Most of the time, the amplification isn't needed anymore, and many modern integrated amps and receivers lack this functionality (most visible: no phono input). The other part of an integrated amp is the power amp section, which only has 1 function: supply enough current.

Would it make any difference (enhance) if I add a preamp in the K1000 rig?
Could you give me some examples/suggestions of Signature 30.2 preamps?
Maybe the power Signature 30.2 (power amp without volume know) would fit in here perfectly?
I know headphone amps don't need a preamp and anything with a volume know shouldn't be used as a preamp.
The Akg K1000 isn't really a headphone, it's a dynamic ear speaker.
So, a preamp could make some difference (I am very happy with my current setup, but would like to have some suggestions).

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Would it make any difference (enhance) if I add a preamp in the K1000 rig?

You're mixing things up: the Signature 30.2 has no pre-amp input. So whatever you do, you'll always go through the pre-amp stage of your current amp, unless you swap it out entirely.
Quote:

I know headphone amps don't need a preamp

I don't think you understand what a headphone amp is. Essentially a headphone amp IS a preamp, but most have a higher output current than normal pre-amps.
Quote:

anything with a volume know shouldn't be used as a preamp

Nonsense. If you want a separate pre and power amp, you'll soon find out the pre-amp has the volume knob.

I'd wait for the new source before committing to a new amp. I think you'll find you need to spend a lot of cash to get a decent improvement over your current rig.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #34 of 36
It's always nice to learn new things
smily_headphones1.gif

True, I would have to spend a lot of cash to improve things.
I am very happy with my 2 rigs, and I am happy I don't need any preamp. I could save the money for other things (like travelling/house/...).

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sb Duet (sb3) now and it is really good, I don't miss the equalizer presets at all. Now I am waiting for the Stello DA220 Mk II to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the Squeezebox streaming devices very much! You can just sit back and relax. I have never enjoyed listening to music in such a way ever before.
You can generate random playlists (you never end up with the same playlist), and everything can be controlled by the remote control.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

No, it wasn't available for a long time in this country so I went for a Stello DA220MKII. But I have the Duet running to my Stello for a few weeks now. It's an excellent combination: it has all the advantages of the TP (network, balanced, etc.), plus the nice remote of the Duet. Only disadvantage is that you have to buy a coax cable.

I like the Squeezebox streaming devices very much! You can just sit back and relax. I have never enjoyed listening to music in such a way ever before.
You can generate random playlists (you never end up with the same playlist), and everything can be controlled by the remote control.

I have two Squeezeboxes now, so basically I can stream music around the house (downstairs and upstairs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back