Slim Devices' Transporter from Logitech
Jul 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 36
I'd use a good coax cable to connect the Stello to the Duet.
After that, you place your preamp. Here indeed a good XLR cable should be used.
And behind that the power amp. Since the amp isn't balanced, use a very good IC.

P.S. does this mean your Stello has arrived?

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 36
No, it hasn't arrived yet. I expect it to arrive this week. I am just trying to find out the best order of connection, so I know how to connect it and where to place it when it arrives.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd use a good coax cable to connect the Stello to the Duet.
After that, you place your preamp. Here indeed a good XLR cable should be used.
And behind that the power amp. Since the amp isn't balanced, use a very good IC.

P.S. does this mean your Stello has arrived?

Would the "Cardas Quadlink 5-c RCA IC" be adequate as a good IC?

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 36
(here's another update)
Would you have any suggestions/tips/corrections on the order of connection and how to connect the devices:
1) connecting Squeezebox Duet with Stello DA220 Mk II DAC (I would use digital coaxial to bypass the Duet dac),
2) connecting Stello dac with HeadRoom Balanced Home (pre)amp (I would use Hovland G3 balanced XLR ic's)
3) connecting HeadRoom amp with Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 (I would use Cardas Quadlink 5c rca ic's)
Would I need a need a high-end digital coaxial cable to connect the Duet with the Stello dac (currently I have a
QED Qunex P75 Coaxial Cable (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...e/Product.html) which is 50 cm in length? Would I need better RCA ic's to connect the HeadRoom amp with
the Signature 30.2 amp (like for example a Cardas Neutral Reference rca)?

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 36
I have a Slim Devices Transporter. Personally, I think it a great source..though I didn't pay $2k for it and doubt that I would..I feel its worth about $1300~ As with any other source system matching is really key and in the end it all comes down to personal taste.

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 36
Seems most of your cables are fine. The only question is problably the RCA IC, but it's impossible to tell if you'll like another IC better. You'll simply have to test it when your system is complete. Shouldn't be a problem as most shops let you test cables. I'd also look at Supra: I like the price/quality ratio.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 36
Too bad I can't edit the thread title because this isn't about the Transporter anymore.

Would it be a "bad" (degrade the signal) thing to integrate the HeadRoom Balanced Home (pre)amp between the Stello dac and the Red Wine Audio Signature amp?

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/byp...-dac-341473/):
"That's unnecessary... The Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 has its own built-in preamplifier; running it through a stage beforehand will only degrade signal quality. Most of what a preamplifier does is signal attenuation, not amplification. Anything with a volume knob has a preamplifier section."

My question:
"Why do you believe the HeadRoom would degrade the signal quality (as you have noticed, I don't know much about preamp and amps)?"

There are several ways to integrate the sub in your rig, you can check them out at ACI Force XL & Titan XL Subwoofer Hookup Options

Maybe, I could try out Option #3. From Aci (http://www.audioc.com/library1/subsetupft.htm)
"Option #3 Pre-Amp Outputs & Main Amp Inputs Use Y-Adapters to split the signals from the left and right preamp outputs. Connect one end of each Y-Adapter to left or right main amp input, (using a short RCA interconnect). Use proper lengths of shielded interconnects to connect the other ends of the Y-Adapters to the right & left inputs on the sub. (If using stereo subs you will run one interconnect to each sub).

Your main speakers will receive a full range signal. To reduce low frequency content to your main amp and speakers, use optional High Pass Filters plugged into the main amp inputs."

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 36
As you can see there's 2 types of Signature 30.2's: Red Wine Audio Products
The one with a big extra knob is the one with a built-in pre-amp. There's no bypass for the pre-amp stage, an additional pre-amp with the associated connectors + cable in the chain can not lead to a improvement.

A pre-amp has several functions:
1. input selector
2. amplification (increase voltage if needed)
3. volume regulation
Most of the time, the amplification isn't needed anymore, and many modern integrated amps and receivers lack this functionality (most visible: no phono input). The other part of an integrated amp is the power amp section, which only has 1 function: supply enough current.

Quote:

Maybe, I could try out Option #3.

I'd use option 2. The signal levels are higher at the speaker terminals, you're way less likely to notice the split.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 36
From Vinnie Rossie: "To connect to your sub, you want to use the volume controlled RCA output jacks of the Sig 30 (these are the lower RCA jacks) and connect them to the sub's line-level input jacks.

To connect your K1000s, you need to separate the L+, L-, R+, and R- wires of the K1000s. Then connect them to the speaker posts just like you would for home audio speakers.

Do not use any Y-adapters or high pass filters... this is all garbage :)

I do not recommend using the headroom headphone amp as a preamp... it will only degrade the sound.

Glad you are enjoying your upgraded Sig 30!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie
"

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 36
I found a Head-Fi'r who has +/- the same Akg rig as mine
smily_headphones1.gif

"Hi, I have a Force XL, RWA 30.2 and K1000s. Currently I'm running RCA cables off the back of the RWA 30.2 to the XL's line level inputs.

I am interested in trying speaker level inputs, but have not taken time to check with ACI to see if their subs support balanced speaker inputs. [CAUTION: RWA has balanced outputs. For the 30.2 you can only connect speaker level inputs to subs that support balanced amps (i.e. they do not share a common ground). So your choices are:

1.) Use line level inputs
2.) Check with ACI to see if your sub supports balanced speaker level inputs

Please report back on what you find and do. Good luck. Kent"

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 36
Reply from Vinnie: "Hi Alexander,

In your situation, the optimal connection is using the low-level (RCA) outputs of the Sig 30.2 to feed your subwoofer. Use the speaker outputs of the Sig 30.2 to feed your K1000s.

Please let me know how you are enjoying it!

Sincerely,

Vinnie Rossi
Red Wine Audio
www.redwineaudio.com"

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a Head-Fi'r who has +/- the same Akg rig as mine
smily_headphones1.gif

"Hi, I have a Force XL, RWA 30.2 and K1000s. Currently I'm running RCA cables off the back of the RWA 30.2 to the XL's line level inputs.

I am interested in trying speaker level inputs, but have not taken time to check with ACI to see if their subs support balanced speaker inputs. [CAUTION: RWA has balanced outputs. For the 30.2 you can only connect speaker level inputs to subs that support balanced amps (i.e. they do not share a common ground). So your choices are:

1.) Use line level inputs
2.) Check with ACI to see if your sub supports balanced speaker level inputs

Please report back on what you find and do. Good luck. Kent"

The subwoofer + dac have arrived
smily_headphones1.gif

When the sub arrives I will know how to hook it up in my Akg rig
(upgraded RWA Sig 30(.2) <<-RCA low-level RCA ouputs >---- <sub's low-level RCA inputs->> subwoofer.
In the mean time I have to found out if my upgraded RWA Signature 30 still has balanced outputs. It might be better to try speaker level inputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back