Slightly off-topic question on E-mu 1212m
Jun 24, 2004 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

perfektrtw

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I just recently bought the e-mu 1212m, and I want to try it with my stereo system. Here's the thing. I can't figure out a way to connect a sub! Is there a way to do this?

Right now my plan is to connect the 1212m to my receiver (which lacks a lfe connector)..... am I missing something here? Is there anyway to connect my sub? Would the 1820m have been required for something like this?

What if I were to buy a 2 channel amp? Same issue, none that I know of have any type of connector to do this. Since the sub is powered, it doesn't need to be hooked up to an amp. Ack. I hope I didn't just waste 200 bucks!
confused.gif

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 6
I've seen a couple of configurations where you run the L&R signal though the sub and back out to the speakers, but short of that I think you're SOL... Any good surround receiver should work, but you will be paying for the extra channels rather than the quality of two channels... <shrug> Sorry I can't be more help here. Good luck.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Most subwoofer amps have a speaker level input. You may not need to actually pass the signal through the subwoofer to the speakers. There are three options I can think of at the moment.

If your receiver only has one set of binding posts you will need to biwire the sub and the speakers. Meaning, jam two sets of wires into your receiver, one leading to your sub, one to your speakers.

If your receiver has two sets of binding posts, just wire up your sub with the second set of posts.

Lastly, if your subwoofer has a built in high pass filter and you want to use it to limit your speakers from reproducing some bass, then you will need to run the speakers through the subwoofer.

Just make sure your subwoofer amp can accept high level signal and you'll be fine.

Jun 24, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 6
You could always just plug your cables for the sub into the 'tape out/rec out'. Or use y splitters at the 1212m and run one run to the reciever and another to the sub.

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the responses guys, I will have to try them out. I have a new question now though... I got it all working -- finally... but the issue I am seeing now is.. I really have no volume control! The only way to adjust the volume is through the software, and that kind of scares me. I have had problems with the little speaker in the system tray before... where it reset to full volume, without me touching it. With my speaker setup now, that would be very very painful!
eek.gif

Do you guys know of anyway I could get some sort of external volume control? It's also annoying if I am doing something full screen and want to adjust the volume... theres really no way to do it.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back