Slight rattling noise in my KSC-35
Jun 29, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Sounds like it got blown out, or ripped. Sadly, its only gonna get worse. You get used to it though =\ . That's one of the problems I've found with clip-ons, they don't take to kindly to heavy bass. I thought the Koss's wouldn't have that problem (I currently have some jvc/victor Be!s), but it seems like its a problem with the form factor. It the clip-on category, Audio Technica's seem to be the best, but I heard that they also aren't friendly with bassheads llike myself.

Someday, my prince will come

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Alright I've played around with these things and have discovered something perplexing. If I hold the left can in place (not against my ear, just forefinger on top and thumb below), the rattling noise disappears and the phones sound beautiful. And just clarify, "rattling" might be a slight exaggeration. It doesn't sound like there's maracas in my headphones. A very noticeable buzz or hiss might be a better description. Any thoughts?

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 14
I had the same problem with my Philips-Koss KSC 487.Thats what i call them.

The rattle comes from the grille that covers the driver or from a bend that has been formed in one of the depressions on the driver itself.You can either hot glue or rubber glue the driver to the grille if its a grill issue or you can straighten the bend out using a flat headed screwdriver or by using a vacuum cleaner to get the bend sucked out.

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Alright I decided to just screw fixing it myself and spent the 7 or so dollars to get it replaced via Koss's lifetime warranty. But check this out. I spoke with a customer service rep and asked her how long it takes to receive a replacement. She said in upwards of 2 weeks. I told her that I would be leaving the country in about 2 weeks and was wondering if the process could be expedited. She said write her name on the package and she'll take care of it the same day she receives it. Rock!

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 14
BTW, advance warning so that you don't get the same rude surprise that I did: when you return the KSC-35s for warranty replacement/repair, they send you the KSC-75s as replacement.

Too late, but it might have simply been the grattle already mentioned, which is easily fixed by gently vacuuming or manually removing the offending hair stuck inside.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 14
This has happened to my Koss 35s several times. Each time it was a hair touching the diaphram. You want to check this before you send for warantee because the repair is simple and takes less than a minute. First remove the ear clip on the driver, it snaps out with a slight tug. Remove the foam grill by gently peeling it from around the edge of the earphone, try not to break too many of the small tabs that bite into the foam, they help keep it in place. With the bare earpiece exposed look into the holes for any hairs, make sure to check both front and back. Put it all back together again, and with all luck the grattle will be gone. If nothing else you should be able to see the damage to the driver if something is really wrong. Seeing that i've had mine since '03 and have rather long hair I have cleaned mine at least a half dozen time in their life to fix rattles.

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah when hairs touch drivers it tends to mess em' up, Sometimes small holes can be made which ruins the driver.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 14
Doh, where were you guys before I warrantied it
frown.gif
Oh well, I don't think I'm enough of an audiophile to really discern the difference between the 35s and the 75s. At the very least I'll know what to do if my 75s rattle.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Mine suddenly sound terrible, no bass, highs stick out like a sore thumb, very dry, sounds like all the music coming from it is grating. Dont know if the drivers are broken or what, but the iPod buds sound better than them right now.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back