Slight Popping in my Beyers
Nov 19, 2002 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WillSmoke

New Head-Fier
I dont know if anyone has experienced this problem, but i have owned my pair of Beyer 250-80s for aobut 2 months now, and until about a week ago have had no problems with them. Recently i have started to notice a seldom popping sound in the right ear. Has anyone experienced a problem like this? I realize i have been quite vague describing the problem, but if anyone needs a little more information, just leave a post.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 8
you may have over driven them and harmed them. it may be time to replace them. otherwise search for the grado or senn rattle (grattle?)

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

you may have over driven them and harmed them. it may be time to replace them.

It does sound like they might be broken, but you might start with a claim under their warranty rather than shelling out X dollars for a new set. I'd let them play coninuously for 24 hours at normal listening volume. If the popping is still there the next day, then they might be busted. It's not likely, but maybe they aren't fully broken in yet or something.

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 8
the only other thing i can think of is that i ive been using them with a comp lately. The computer im using has a live 5.1 and i dont ever remember hearing the popping on my old sytem. Im gonna do a few tests on other sources and see what happens

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 8
The SB Live! is known for popping, especially if you have a VIA chipset. I bet your soundcard is to blame.

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Creative Lab products in general are (in)famous for their popping and hissing outputs.

Make sure your recording doesn't have any popping either. Many of my friends complain about popping, only to be discovered that the source is a poor recording.

Nov 19, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Warning: Beyerdynamic headphones can reveal high-end flaws in recordings.

Listening to the Beyer 831s, I was plagued by a crackling sound in a Transient Waves recording before noticing that the mp3 encoding was bad. Even the Sony V6 hadn't revealed that problem, let alone my Senn 580s. It's a Beyer thing.

Here's something I just posted to another thread that might pertain:

Crowd opinions can be misleading and arbitrary; Wall Street's littered with corpses for that reason. I just received a pair of Beyerdynamic 831s in the mail and I'm listening to them as I type. I enjoy the brightness others complain of because I take pleasure in the unpleasant truth. These phones reveal flaws in an Aphex Twin recording that I'd prefer to know about. If Drukqs is construction-yard-abrasive in the upper register in a way that I doubt even Richard James himself wanted, I need to hear that and not be soothed into believing otherwise.

(Then again, you could have a short for all I know.)

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replys. First off, i am using a live! with a via chipset. After reading that post immediately switched over to my ipod to test the same music. I dont hear any popping at all when i use the ipod. This leads to 2 questions. First, why would the Live! resuly in popping in only one ear (at least thats what it seemed)? and second, does the audigy have the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back