Slight distortion in some music
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

espressogeek

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently began upgrading my portable audio rig. I have been listening to SR-60s with reverse quarter moded HD414 pads and some bone stock HD-580s. I am using a cmoy variant that sounds pretty darn good as an amp which connects to my ipod via a LOD. My source files are Apple lossless rips. I have noticed slight distortions in some recordings. For example, listening to Pink Floyd's , Shine on you Crazy Diamond parts VI - IX, track 5 on Wish You Were Here, I hear some distortion in the left channel towards the end of the track on the synth horns. When listening to Audioslave's Cochise I hear distortion at 1:25 in the drums. The whole track there seems to get a bit muddy. I hear this with both my Grado's and Sennheisers. Another example is U2's Elevation. I hear some distortion at the climatic passage at position 2:31 in the right channel. I have been able to reproduce this behavior when listening to the Pink Floyd CD through my home stereo from the CD so I imagine this is the recording. I am not so sure the original recording is always at fault however. Can anyone offer some objective information regarding this?

Thanks

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Wish You Were Here album has some distortion in my rig as well. First track especially and I think it is intentional. I have both cd and vinyl versions and they are similar.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply! That is good to know about Wish you were here. I would be interested to know about the Audioslave distortion. Maybe my little budget rig is prenting to much detail to the point I am noticing things I never did before. I will say this, I got out my rp91 DVD player just to use as a reference and it sounds TERRIBLE compared to my iPod with LOD to my cmoy. Very pinched and shrill when listening to Feist. With the portable setup her vocals seem to float off my ears with only momentary harshness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish You Were Here album has some distortion in my rig as well. First track especially and I think it is intentional. I have both cd and vinyl versions and they are similar.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Does anyone else hear distortion on Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt at around the 3 minute mark? I am listening to the CD and this is the only CD of the "American" recordings where I hear distortion on any of the tracks.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by espressogeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else hear distortion on Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt at around the 3 minute mark? I am listening to the CD and this is the only CD of the "American" recordings where I hear distortion on any of the tracks.

Big time!

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by espressogeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A lot of distortion at that part of the song, yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back