Sleepy time phones
Apr 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

strike

New Head-Fier
Hey boys and girls. What (unamped) headphones are recommended for bed?

My Koss 35s are pretty cool but I'm looking for something maybe a bit more comfortable. Oh yeah, let's keep it under $100.

I'm using an iRiver iHP-120.

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 11
I've never tried headphones in bed, but I imagine you'd want pretty much the same thing as out of bed. In that case try searching for other similar threads.

One thing that could make a difference would be weight - lighter is probably better. Perhaps look at the usual recommendations, then search the web for their weight? Isolation is probably important too.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 11
I always fall asleep w/ cans on. I like my Eggo 66s. I make the loosen the head ban a notch or two to make it more comfy and turn the volumn on my PCDP to 2/10.

Ps. I sleep like a corpse in a coffin, thus rotation is not an issue.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by strike
What (unamped) headphones are recommended for bed?

My bed headphone is Sony MDR-CD780. It is the most comfortable headphone. The ear pads are small pillows. Unamped it sounds very good and musical.
280smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 11
you might want to try isolator plugs (e3c, e5c, er4p, etc.) because they're small and light, you you don't have to worry about crushing them. or, if you don't want to spend big bucks, buy koss "the plug" and mod them.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 11
If you sleep on your back or stomach, you could use smaller fullsize phones like the ones described here. If you sleep on your side, you might have to use earcanalphones or endure discomfort/extra boomy bass. I'm assuming you don't sleep on your side since you use KSC-35s.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by null
you might want to try isolator plugs (e3c, e5c, er4p, etc.) because they're small and light, you you don't have to worry about crushing them. or, if you don't want to spend big bucks, buy koss "the plug" and mod them.

wouldnt recommend on canalphones. i used the e2c and "took a nap" from 5pm to midnight, even though i set my alarm at 6pm. it isolate so much noises so i couldnt hear the alarm. what if the house is on fire? but thats just my opinion.

usually you want a headphone with a laid back and smooth sound signature. normally i find the ones with earcups that surrounded your ears are more comfortable ones with the driver directly touching your ears.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 11
I just use MX400s, I can sleep on my side and they don't get muffled if I'm lying on them.
I use HD495s sometimes also, they're very light and comfortable, but I have to sleep on my back with them.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 11
I use my D66 eggos in bed and at work to take naps and they're pretty comfy. I can sleep on my side if I position my head right, but I sometimes get an over emphasis in bass in one ear. But that should be expected. I do have to say though, the highs are a little harsh with these headphones, so you may want to listen at lower volume levels to avoid waking yourself up
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back