Sleepin' with the headphones on
Feb 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dbcasper

New Head-Fier
I am loving falling asleep to various Glenn Harrold hypnotherapy cds. The problem is finding headphones to sleep with. Earbuds are dangerous while regular headphones are not very comfortable. I've found something called SleepPhones System (Amazon.com: SleepPhones System: Headphones for Sleeping with CD - Large Gray: Health & Personal Care) and it is a headband with headphones built-in. Users have said it is expensive and not the best quality so I'm thinking of making something similar. Any suggestions?

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 22
Shure SE530, Westone 3/UM3X...anything with a design that sits flush within your outer ear.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SE530, Westone 3/UM3X...anything with a design that sits flush within your outer ear.

eek.gif

I wouldn't sleep with these, as I toss and turn, and would catch the cable etc. I catch the cable sometimes during normal daily wearing
biggrin.gif

Every night, I use Bose on-ear headphones. I bought them years ago, BHF (like BC, but Before Head-Fi!), thinking they were great! When I joined here, however.........

But for going to sleep, with a detachable cable and small form factor, and a well made-ish headband (metal, not plastic), they haven't broke in over 3 years of daily (nightly) use. I did try some £15 sony's once, and they broke after 2 weeks, as they are all plastic housings and headband, unlike the Bose
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 22
Hahah BHF. I've slept with all the headphones in my sig, haven't had an issue so far. The HJE900 are obviously the best though. The detachable cable makes me feel quite safe that if something were to snag, the cables would detach before any real damage occurred.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 22
IEM can be very dangerous sleeping with. If you turn your head and the canal phone gets squashed into your ear, it could really damage your eardrum. Try to get some comfy earbuds with good sound instead.
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 22
with the exception of possibly customs, what IEMs would you be concerned about being pushed far enough in to damage the ear drums? o.o

on topic: my biggest concern would be the cable snagging and tearing (even if it is detachable), but i still sleep with my IEMs on anyways---just run the cables under your shirt and also around your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 22
I can sleep with my CK10 pretty comfortable but I don't really do it too often. It's hard to hear my alarm in the morning :p

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 22
I use Bose In Ear to listen while falling asleep. They are very comfortable and are not IEM's so they pose no danger. I agree with the general consensus here that they are overpriced but if you can find some used that may be an option.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 22
i sleep with my JH-13's all the time, ive never had a problem, i usually dont sleep flat on my back, but passing out listening to music its not too hard. Plus with customs it would be almost impossible to hurt your eardrums with the canal of the earphone.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 22
I don't agree that IEMs should be dangerous to sleep with. I've been doing this for at least 5 years with no troubles. I've used E4Pro, ER6, PFE, RE0, RE2.

Unless you figure you might lay your ear against your finger and accidentally shove your finger with force into your ear...very unlikely obviously...a soft pillow simply cannot put much pressure against the IEM housing.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree that IEMs should be dangerous to sleep with. I've been doing this for at least 5 years with no troubles. I've used E4Pro, ER6, PFE, RE0, RE2.

Unless you figure you might lay your ear against your finger and accidentally shove your finger with force into your ear...very unlikely obviously...a soft pillow simply cannot put much pressure against the IEM housing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can sleep with my CK10 pretty comfortable but I don't really do it too often. It's hard to hear my alarm in the morning :p

Really, I think this is the danger. It's possible that you might not hear an alarm go off (fire, tornado) or somebody knocking at your door telling you need to evacuate (gas leak or some other situation). I suppose that kind of event is fairly rare in most cases, but it's something to consider. It seems somewhat unlikely that you would physically injure yourself wearing IEMs.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, I think this is the danger. It's possible that you might not hear an alarm go off (fire, tornado) or somebody knocking at your door telling you need to evacuate (gas leak or some other situation). I suppose that kind of event is fairly rare in most cases, but it's something to consider. It seems somewhat unlikely that you would physically injure yourself wearing IEMs.

Firsty, I have 2 dogs that totally freak out at the slightest noise at night. If a mouse farts, they let me know.

Second, my wife sleeping next to me would probably wake me if the house burst into flames.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 22
I have slept with Bose On Ear which I find to be comfortable (also BHF).
Now I prefer to sleep with the Panasonic RP-HJE900 either with the stock cable or plugged into Sleek Audio W-1 Wireless Accessory over my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back