sleep is overrated
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 48
Other than extreme situations (an hour or two of sleep) I don't consciously feel a difference But there definitely is one. If I get less sleep than usual the night before a relaxing, uneventful day I will hardly feel a difference. But if I get the same amount Wednesday night and I need to do homework and study Thursday I am more easily frustrated and have a harder time concentrating with five hours as opposed to 7-8. I say and honestly believe I feel the same either way, but subconsciously there is definitely a difference

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 48
I can sleep for 12 hours if not woken. Typically on a school day though I get around 5 hours. I find two key factors really make a big difference in how well rested I feel.

First is how warm I am when I wake up. Since my parents are bloody cheap as hell, they keep the thermostat turned down. It doesn't help that my room is in the basement, so the temp is usually around 19 degrees. I set my alarm to wake me an hour before I need to be up, then pile on an extra comforter or blanket so I'm hot and sweating by the time I need to be up, it's a lot easier to get out of bed. The main reason I crawl back into bed is because its so soft and warm, and I am shivering when I'm brushing my teeth in the washroom.

Second is a psychological factor. If there is sunlight coming in through my blinds I will be much more included to wake up. Unfortunately this does not work with artificial light, as i've tried turning on the lights an hour before I need to be up too. Has to actually resemble a sunrise.

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #33 of 48
I think technically a full night's sleep is 7-8 hours, and that sounds about right to me. I'm fine with about 7.5 hours (less is worse) and ideal with 8 to 8.5 hours. Any more than 9, I feel lazy and tired, and any less than 7 and I feel exhausted and tired. I had one week during the summer when I absolutely NAILED 8 hours of sleep every night - it was the best week I've ever had in terms of sleep. I felt absolutely perfect every day towards the end.

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #34 of 48
I hate it when I get too much sleep and I'm tired the next day, lol.

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #35 of 48
Do whatever makes you feel good. Still, you should not dip below 6 hours for health reasons. Read some reports that sleeping less than that amount is bad for your heart.

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #36 of 48
I work nights (11:00 to 7:00) 40 hours a week and go to school full time. I average 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night during the week (class starts at 1:00) and get around 6 hours a night on the weekends with usually one day of sleeping in.

I hate sleeping, when I do not have work or school I usually only sleep around 5 hours a night. If I could give it up, I would.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #39 of 48
Sleep deprivation leads to many psychiatric disorders. Eat, sleep and be merry.

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #42 of 48
So - after pumping up dreaming to goldenratiophi as a wonderful alternate reality, what do you suppose I dreamed of that night? The only scene I remember is being at a GARAGE SALE with my EX, and some kid tried to steal my keys! There were no audio goodies either...
frown.gif

Laz

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Napping is underrated.

'tis true. I always nap through my study halls because no matter how overrated sleeping is, napping is always cooler than studying
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So - after pumping up dreaming to goldenratiophi as a wonderful alternate reality, what do you suppose I dreamed of that night? The only scene I remember is being at a GARAGE SALE with my EX, and some kid tried to steal my keys! There were no audio goodies either...
frown.gif

Laz

LOL

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #45 of 48
X2 on the napping

I don't nap often, but on every once and a while I do and I feel 10x better after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back