Sleep + Grado SR80s?
Feb 5, 2009 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
It may seem like a silly question, but do you guys think it's okay to sleep on my side with my Grado SR80s on, or could it harm my headphones?

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may seem like a silly question, but do you guys think it's okay to sleep on my side with my Grado SR80s on, or could it harm my headphones?

Thanks.

Not a good idea, in my view. I have the SR-80s and can't imagine sleeping with them on my head. They'd keep falling off. Now, I believe I have had them on in an easy chair and maybe had a little too much to drink, and fell asleep with them on. But that's different .... I think.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 18
I don't think it's worth the risk..
Invest in a pair of PK3's instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 18
i fall asleep with my grados on all the time, but only while on my back.
if you prefer to sleep on your side, invest in some iem's.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 18
I don't think that it would hurt the phones, but I would imagine it'd hurt your ears. Also, when i cover the ends of my grados (rs-1s) they lose all depth and bass and become horrible tinny things reminiscent of built in laptop speakers. Does that not happen with the 80s?

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that it would hurt the phones, but I would imagine it'd hurt your ears. Also, when i cover the ends of my grados (rs-1s) they lose all depth and bass and become horrible tinny things reminiscent of built in laptop speakers. Does that not happen with the 80s?

it does, but not to the extent you're implying. it's noticeable, sure, but not unlistenably(new word
tongue.gif
) terrible.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 18
You guys are making me buying grados phones even more now stop mentioning Grados!!! i'm going crazy haha
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Random murderer now that you own Grados And Sennheiser HD650 How would you compare them in Quality And SoundStage:

I saw this in a review.

Grades: More detail but sound like you are playing an instrument...
Sennheiser:Like you are on a concert listening to a band (also i heard that some people prefer grades over senns because they say senngs are too much in face sound... not sure what they meant that if they would be talking about soundstage then it would be the exact opposite...)

Is that true? hehe

Thanks!!!

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 18
I think I've attempted to sleep with my SR80's on before and it didn't go so well.

I don't think it's a matter of harming your headphones but more about if you will even be able to fall asleep lying on them. It's pretty uncomfortable.

To answer your question though, I think your headband could potentially become damaged. I mean, those plastic connectors with the L and R aren't the most sturdy pieces ever.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are making me buying grados phones even more now stop mentioning Grados!!! i'm going crazy haha
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Random murderer now that you own Grados And Sennheiser HD650 How would you compare them in Quality And SoundStage:

I saw this in a review.

Grades: More detail but sound like you are playing an instrument...
Sennheiser:Like you are on a concert listening to a band (also i heard that some people prefer grades over senns because they say senngs are too much in face sound... not sure what they meant that if they would be talking about soundstage then it would be the exact opposite...)

Is that true? hehe

Thanks!!!

there's no comparison, the sennheisers are better in every aspect.
i'm sure if you had a set of grados in the same price range the differences wouldn't be night and day like they are between the sr80 and the hd650.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for the reply. I would love to buy Senns 650 but i would need an amp...

I'm thinking about now buying a 80 or 125 model as a start but do you maybe know which model of those two have less brightness.

Thanks!!

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 18
Have they changed the materials they use in making the sr80s lately? I just got a pair of sr80s and the sound is excellent but I was slightly disappointed with the build quality. The plastic feels/looks cheap and has visible flaws in it.

I can't imagine that mine would last long if I slept with them on.....

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 18
Having gone through the sr80's and sr325i's, I think I'd rather go for sr225's if I had to buy another plastic housing Grado for the sound quality alone. It may be out of your price range, so the sr80's are still a good bet. If you're worried about the brightness then maybe you could check out the Alessandro MS1's. I've never heard the sr125's, but most people say not to bother with them.

As for the build quality, they do feel and look cheap. I actually put a metal grill on my sr80's and they look less cheap haha. They are very light headphones, so that may be why they seem cheap. I actually never realized how cheap they felt until I got my sr325i's which look and feel a whole lot more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back