Sleep: e2c or e3c?
Jun 22, 2004 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ibbo

Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for a pair of isolation headphones; narrowed it down to e2c/e3c (was quoted 65 and 125 for them respectively).

Leaning towards the e2c's since I work out and run. Ety's not really looked at due to microphonics.

However, due to a bad experience with a roommate last year staying up at all hours of the night with his blazing P4 proc in a laptop (ie fan spinning at 9600rpm when I'm trying to go to sleep), I was wondering which, the e2c or the e3c would be more comfortable, or be less intrusive in my attempt to sleep.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jon

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 18
If you work out and run etc. then the E3C will be a better option because it has a better fit. The E2C's are more protruding and could fall out...which is not a big deal.

I have both, I have slept with both (wish they were full bodied young women but I guess you have to do with what you got
tongue.gif
) and I like them both...more a case of sonic preference apart from the small factor that the E2C protrudes out more and could be an annoyance if you sleep on your side and dont use a pillow.

I dont use a pillow and I didnt mind the E2C but this is just something I noted
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
How do you sleep without a pillow?
eek.gif

Huh?

I dont even have a bed
rolleyes.gif

I sleep on the floor. Spread a bedspread on the carpet, throw on another sheet to cover myself and I sleep right there on the floor without a pillow. I havent used a pillow in 6 years now.

I didnt know this was unusual
confused.gif

LOL
eggosmile.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Huh?

I dont even have a bed
rolleyes.gif

I sleep on the floor. Spread a bedspread on the carpet, throw on another sheet to cover myself and I sleep right there on the floor without a pillow. I havent used a pillow in 6 years now.

I didnt know this was unusual
confused.gif

LOL
eggosmile.gif

Wow, this site really did kill your wallet, didn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Here people is a person who takes his headphones seriously: he sleeps on the floor yet has 650s, a power conditioner, as well as an array of other stuff. Did you ever wonder if that's the reason you don't have a woman there with you?
wink.gif

I had Shure E3s and didn't like them at all: the mids and highs were crap, veiled. The bass was fine. I suggest you get foam earplugs for sleeping - I find hearos good for my small-ish ear canals.

As for cans for working out, i'd say if you must have canal phones look at some of the less-recommended brands around here. Sharp 4 pole ones are meant to be better than E2s. Also consider portapros.

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
Wow, this site really did kill your wallet, didn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not really. I am from India. Having a bed is not a priority and besides...I never spent enough time at home to justify a bed. I just got used to sleeping on the floor outside the house (very hot in summer and we had a nice porch with a fan...I slept outside (YES...out of doors but within my land and walls) to catch whatever sea breeze came my way.

Sleeping on the floor is part of my culture. Sleeping without a pillow is just out of habit. I found that pillows that began under the head ended up where a wife/girlfriend/eagermemberoftheoppositesex would normally be...I just forgot that I needed one under my head...

I have my setup on a small table right beside me. I can operate everything from where I sleep without having to get up. Its perfect!!

I will post a pic if possible
eggosmile.gif
That should put things straight
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 18
E3cs are better for sleeping on them. I actually returned my E2cs because the driver housing was too large for my ear/lobes/whatever and caused them pain. The two are fairly close sounding in my ears, but I think the E3s are slightly more detailed from what I can recall. Overall, the extra money spend on E3cs for my earlobe comforts are well worth it.

See, I'd sleep with my Technics RP-DJ1200 (better than advertised) but those things are a pain when you lie on them. For what's its worth, the EX71s are comfortable when sleeping with them as well. But most folks here wouldn't be caught dead wearing those.
etysmile.gif
<-- See, even this guy would rather wear Etys than the EX71s.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm kind of in the same boat, but leaning toward the E2c. Would you mind telling me who quoted you those prices? Are they shipped?

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I vote for E2 for active use over E3. E2 is sealed better than E3 and will stand up to sweat better. It also has a sound signature that lends itself to workouts IMO though this is highly subjective. The E2 is also a little more rugged though the E3 is very sturdy in build quality. I've owned both and that's my take on it.

There was an excellent thread on this a while back started by 'Wildone' that discussed all of this - if/when search ever comes back I recommend you dig it up for more thoughts on the matter but the E3 was the general consensus if I recall correctly for best fit for active/workout use.

I wouldn't choose either for sleeping though. Neither driver will be flush (though fit will vary from person to person) and I'd always be too worried about strangling myself with the cord or crushing my player. Comfortwise, you could fall asleep with either if you don't lie on your side. I have fallen asleep with E5s though take them off when I wake an hour or two later
etysmile.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 18
I spent the last two nights sleeping with the E2c and E3c's respectively. Neither phone dropped out of my ears. Both gave me excellent isolation and beautiful sound. I was listening to music all night long!! Beautiful experience...when you wake up to Buena Vista Social Club after going to sleep to Metallica and Franz Ferdinand
very_evil_smiley.gif

I found it very comfortable with the E3c and tolerable with the E2c. Keep in mind that I dont use a pillow and I sleep on the floor with the side of my face (ears) resting on the floor. I had no problems worth complaining about other than the fact that I woke up too late to do anything useful
tongue.gif
LOL

Man...thanks to this thread i tried out something I never thought of...or executed completely...

Cheers!

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for all the help guys.

I ended up going with the e3c with triple flange accessory (+10) so it came out to be 135 including shipping.

I sleep without a pillow as well, usually on my side. Hope these are okay; I think I got spoiled by trying out my friend's ER-4P's last semester. Heh.

Jon

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

was quoted 65 and 125 for them respectively

Those are the best prices I've seen. Who quoted these prices and where did you finally buy?

fyi - all Ety ER4 sleeves are interchangable with the E3 so you can order cheaper ety tri-flange sleeves if you wish as well.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back