Sleek SA6
Oct 14, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,291 of 1,423
Well, for one thing, I feel the Image x10s are not worth it at $350 after I've tried them out and SA6s actually outclasses them there. The bass is definitely nice and big for the Image x10s but at the expense of introducing congestion and a feeling of listening to something that's behind a curtain.

The SA6s were just not anything extraordinary and at $250 they are a bit exuberantly priced, at $200 they are somewhat more worthy of consideration but at that price range, their are definitely other options that while may not match the SA6s in the details department, they don't lag behind by much and they have a better representation of their dynamic range. For example, the Atrio m5s I feel, while being a bit overwhelming by just a smudge in the bass department, has a better perceivable range and are in the same price range as a pair of $200 street price SA6. The Atrio's bass also are not of the muddy type. The SA6s to me personally sounds a bit like much warmer Etymotics, or for lack of a better description, what Etymotics ER-4Ss should have sounded like.

Would be interesting to see what Sleek would come up with if they forgo the customization gimmick and concentrated on a more "standard" in-ear. I also was not a big fan of the cabling system as I've had pretty horrible experiences with the UE cables.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #1,292 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure don't know how the universal-fit UE11 that you tried sounded, I just can attest that my UE11 sound good, as far as IEMs go.

I did not liked them at all...period, they didn't show me anything really attractive as to go for them, not even at three times less price...
confused_face.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #1,293 of 1,423
Quote:

I liked my Atrios for their bass and soundstage - but their treble and precision/clarity seemed to be missing. I liked my SE530 - but their upper treble and their deep sub-bass seemed to be missing. I liked my q-Jays - but their bass and soundstage seemed to be missing. You get the point... all these points are fulfilled by the UE11. I just say it like it is for me, that's what I hear.

All IEMs have their share of weaknesses, and the UE11 is no exception. Many will argue that their bass is too strong and boomy. IMHO as far as 4 digit IEMs go the ACS T1 offers a much more balanced and accurate sound than the UE11, and is easily better than the UE11, but for some reason the ACS IEMs are not popular in head-fi. I think those who have heard both IEMs will agree with me.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #1,298 of 1,423
Arg i'm ready to buy new IEM's after I lost a silicone tip from my CX300's - not worth replacing it.

Still can't decide if the SA6 is worth abut 75% more than the Super fi 5 (new). Everyone says the Super fi 5 Pro is uncomfortable so that puts that out.

I would like to be able to put the IEMs in my ear quickly and easily, the CX300's are as fast as any earbud.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #1,301 of 1,423
Is there anyone who have a hard time remove your treble + or - ports?
my gets stock and using the removing tool or a tissue while twising don't help.
I'm on my second pair. I did return my first pair due to this, sadly my new pair do the same. :s

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #1,302 of 1,423
How is the build quality, fit and finish on the SA6? The chromed plastic does it wear off? Are the cable connections solid?

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #1,303 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the build quality, fit and finish on the SA6? The chromed plastic does it wear off? Are the cable connections solid?

Let me tell you.
The build quality is lacking. The finish looks good from distance but if look carefully they aren’t perfect made from the factory and that even on tips, cable, and bass ports you can see that.

The chromed plastic was got apart from my first pair on the left ear. Also the main I return them. I just believe it will soon happen on my SA6 I having now which seems to be faulty too.
angry_face.gif

Fit is OK as well as solid cable connections, don't worry

For now I have not been stratified with the SA6. They sound nice but no...

I did also get a very strange carrying case with my SA6 this time. Very different from the last one. I will upload a picture soon to let you see what I mean.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #1,304 of 1,423
Quote:

I'm just wondering how a single armature can provide for everything from the deepest bass to the highest treble. I'm not being sarcastic here.

We are talking about armature here not electrodynamic loudspeaker, Armature speaker are by definition wide band some a bit more some a bit less than other. From a design point of view most IE use a vintage Knowles Acoustics CI2955 it was design 25 years ago for behind the ears earring aid, it was and still is one of the most if not the most powerful armature. It has an huge motor that resonate like hell, resonate means that at certain frequency get undue boost, with proper load those freq can be adjusted and that's a good thing because it allows to compensate earing loss !
Now when it came to use those armature for music, My guess is that at the time earphone manufacturer toke what was available, the natural choice was big fat CI2955 cause powerfull means Bass. But they could not decently use his treble render as it wasn't really suited for "normal" use. Hence the use of an smaller less powerful armature for the treble. What about triple armature ? 2 CI2955 for more bass says the ads... Not quite. One of the issue with the old CI2955 is that it's a distortion beast up to 10%@500 hertz , my guessing is that using 2 CI2955 is really to have them work less and get less distortion (as distortion increase when the drivers works to his maximum extension).
In 25 years Manufacturer have made new armature design: Music specific and a lot of improvement have been made in terms of resonance , distortions etc.. at a price..

That was to answer your question, now ultimately regardless how technology can be fascinating It's you ears that you are looking to satisfy not your Brain (I know argument is flawed). There is no shame to prefer the sound coming from 700$ custom multiple 25 years old distorted driver over a new state of the art Klipsh , new UE, Sleek. etc..
But I think It's a good thing that Sleek and others open the gate of new armatures cause it may force some other manufacturer to use better quality armature if they want to be able to justify there price tag.
Ultimately this will lead to more customer satisfaction, I hope.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #1,305 of 1,423
Take a look on my new SA6 carrying case:
dscf2041ww3.jpg

I just found this piece apart from the case inside the box of SA6. Weird!

sa620032pu5.jpg

Here just another picture of Kees carrying case from page 6. Just like my old carrying case and what I think is normal (lol) Note the room where the wire can be stored and notice the plastic on right markt with arrows.

Now take a look on the next picture. This is my new case I’ve got today with my new SA6.

dscf204fl5.jpg

Isn’t there missing something?
The plastic from the on picture above who keeping the cord inside is gone and there simply just the dot left.??
I though it might be new version or old version but I just think this make the carrying case more useless.

EDIT:
I have got a new replacement from Shaun. I was indeed a defective case. The plastic was simply missing since this part is actually possible to remove. Sleek Audio just forgot to add one.
frown.gif

Well my first impressions of the sound (+70 hours) is pretty good. I just need to play with different EQ's and fits to get a real view whats going on. I think they do very well.
ksc75smile.gif

They small, but I don't like the build quality all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back