Sleek SA6
Jul 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #1,007 of 1,423
Didn't even know the sleek customs were available yet, though I'm not currently ready to be looking at customs! When did that happen?

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #1,008 of 1,423
I pm'd Jason and asked. He sent me an order form via email. Sent my impressions in and received the custom 4 days later.

They obviously aren't ready for a full release, but they are available. Choices are limited at the moment to 4 colors (clear, blue, red, flesh), no custom art options at the moment, and your choice of side cable (like livewires) or front (UE, FreQShow) style. Lastly, you have your choice of treble/bass preferences, similar to SA6 port system. You select your preference, they tune the custom. I chose bass+, treble+ (which is actually very much like treble++ on SA6, which I wanted).

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #1,009 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pm'd Jason and asked. He sent me an order form via email. Sent my impressions in and received the custom 4 days later.

They obviously aren't ready for a full release, but they are available. Choices are limited at the moment to 4 colors (clear, blue, red, flesh), no custom art options at the moment, and your choice of side cable (like livewires) or front (UE, FreQShow) style. Lastly, you have your choice of treble/bass preferences, similar to SA6 port system. You select your preference, they tune the custom. I chose bass+, treble+ (which is actually very much like treble++ on SA6, which I wanted).

Could you post a photo, even a camera phone photo, so we can see what the customs look like. What type of material are they made of?

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #1,010 of 1,423
How much do the sleek customs cost?

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #1,011 of 1,423
been looking to upgrade in IEMs for the past month, been on head-fi 2+ hours a day for the past week. Was looking for something around $150, and then i kinda settled yesterday on the westone um1 (didn't purchase it though, cuz i have to sit with it for a day to make sure i'm satisified).

I read a lot of the reviews for the sleeks and was very intrigued, but didn't skip to the end of this thread til today, and completely forgot they were on sale! it's 2:10 am EST july 8th right now, and i thought i missed the deal (supposed to end on the 7th), checked that soundearphones is based in cincinnati, OH but tried the SA6 code anyway and it worked! so hopefully some SA6's are headed my way soon enough. I hope I made the right decision. i jumped quite a bit from currently using the UE SF3's and the senn cx300's. didn't want to jump all the way to $300 for um2s or se530s.

now i know i'll be reading more and more about these iems before they get here. hopefully they fit my tiny ears (as i posted in another thread), but if not, apparently soundearphones has only a $15 flat restocking fee which is great compared to earphonesolutions or other sites.

i'm so excited now! woohoo!

EDIT: Forgot to mention why I got these! From my limited phone experience (senn cx300, ue sf3, grado sr-60, senn hd212, & more) I know that I prefer the fit of the cx300, but much prefer the sound of the sf3 and the sr-60's. I like the more present midrange (as I listen to rock mainly) and I have a liking of the shining highs from certain bands. Although the cx300's bass is muddy, I appreciate the thump I get with it as well, which is good for some heavier modern rock. This all led me to the SA6's as comfort was a big issue (need small IEMs), sound signature seems like it would be what I'm looking for, and price point! after the discount, these were within reach for what appears to be great sound. thanks all for the numerous posts and reviews. all of it was very useful for making this decision.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #1,012 of 1,423
Welcome to the Sleek family, ravissimo! I don't think you made the wrong decision. We're a jolly bunch.
biggrin.gif

In other news, I did the same as robojack, slightly expanding the bass+ port with a pin (this is the second time I've performed the maneuver -- the first was right after I took possession of the SA6s), and it does seem to have pushed the bass up a degree. Yay. I'm not sure why the initial attempt yielded less substantial results...but I have a suspicion that, given the pliable material the bass ports consist of, the widened holes end up shrinking back down over time. I'll have to keep an eye on them. If I'm right, it may mean one actually has to remove some (a fraction) of the rubber around the existing hole to make the mod permanent. Not as easy as just sliding a pin through...(although, perhaps, a hot pin might do it?)

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #1,013 of 1,423
Quote:

So what do you feel are the differences between the custom and the universal? I'm not sure if you covered that elsewhere already, if so could you direct me to the post?

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #1,014 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you post a photo, even a camera phone photo, so we can see what the customs look like. What type of material are they made of?

Thanks!

Sasaki's photos on this thread are the exactly what I have:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...s-pics-341973/

They are the same material as the UE's and FreQShow, the name of which I can't recall at the moment
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #1,015 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what do you feel are the differences between the custom and the universal? I'm not sure if you covered that elsewhere already, if so could you direct me to the post?

The custom is basically the SA6 in a custom shell, just a bit more refined, as is basically reflected in the small price differential, $250 and $300. I suppose for some, the ability to tune the SA6 would make it more appealing. If you're someone who has settled on the perfect sound (audio fingerprint as Sleek likes to put it
tongue.gif
), the custom is the way to go.

The only notable difference is that the custom treble+ option is more like the SA6's treble++, so if the ++ on the SA6 was too much, the best option on the custom would be treble=.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,016 of 1,423
So, what ports does one pick for the custom if they have never heard an SA6 and like a full sound with good bass and crisp treble and warm mids? (for example like a Triple.fi 10 Pro)

How can the bass port work in a sealed custom shell, does it vent only to the inside, or to the outside, or both?

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #1,017 of 1,423
Quote:

The custom is basically the SA6 in a custom shell, just a bit more refined, as is basically reflected in the small price differential, $250 and $300. I suppose for some, the ability to tune the SA6 would make it more appealing. If you're someone who has settled on the perfect sound (audio fingerprint as Sleek likes to put it
tongue.gif
), the custom is the way to go.

The only notable difference is that the custom treble+ option is more like the SA6's treble++, so if the ++ on the SA6 was too much, the best option on the custom would be treble=.

Thanks for the info, it's probably not worth consideration for me as the SA6's are by far the most comfortable I've owned and with my sensitive to the silicon tips I'm a bit afraid I might have similar sensitivity issues with customs.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #1,019 of 1,423
what port combination gives the most balanced/neutral/transparent sound?

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #1,020 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what ports does one pick for the custom if they have never heard an SA6 and like a full sound with good bass and crisp treble and warm mids? (for example like a Triple.fi 10 Pro)

How can the bass port work in a sealed custom shell, does it vent only to the inside, or to the outside, or both?

No configuration of the Sleek will give you a midrange like the Triple.fi 10. The Sleek midrange is forward, the Triple.fi is fairly recessed. I'd compare the Sleek midrange more to the SE530. Bass+ will give you a nice bass and most here would recommend the treble+, though I prefer the treble++.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back