Sleek SA6
Jul 5, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #976 of 1,423
tadad1 - Is that you, Madman? Welcome to the Head-fi forums, glad to see you've upgraded to these superb IEMs!

^This guy makes some awesome themes and flash skins for the Cowon D2. If you're a D2 owner and haven't seen his work over at iAudiophile, then you've really been missing out
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #977 of 1,423
An update to my bass situation. It seems that following ClieOS's advice from earlier, where a small pin can be inserted into the + bass port's hole to clear up any obstruction, has resulted in a massive increase in bass! Inserting the small pin seems to have enlarged the hole a tiny bit, but enough to bring the bass back. Now, I'm pretty happy at this point with the SA6's performance
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #978 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a long time Head-Fi lerker thank you to all those who contributed to this thread. After reading this entire thread twice (just in case I missed something) I ordered the Sleeks from SoundEarphones a week ago. They arrived yesterday morning and have been embedded in my skull since.

As my beloved 7 month old q-Jays had to be sent back for a warranty claim having developed cable fatigue at multiple points I figured that with the sheer volume of positive comments in the thread the Sleek's had to be worth a try.

Using my Cowon D2 as source straight out of the box I found the Sleeks to be comfortable and well balanced. After spending a few hours sampling a number of my favourite albums for now I seem to have settled on the Bass= which offers a little more warmth than the q-Jays which I find appealing and a little more punch from the bass when needed. The mids seem to remain strong and well defined and combined with the Treble++ I find I still retain most of the crisp precise highs that I like from the q-Jays.

To be honest sonically I am finding the SA6 to be overall more appealing and versatile than the q-Jays, comfort wise they are much of a muchness despite the difference is earpiece size between the two although I seem to be favouring using the q-Jay silicon tips which I have grown accustomed to over the SA6's bi-flanges as the material is a little denser which seems to tighten up the bass a little.

One major plus to the Sleeks over the q-Jays for me is the SA6 exhibit very little noticeable cable microphonics compared to the q-Jays which was always a bit of a trade off for me preferring to wear my cables straight down rather than looped behind the ear. As I liked the sound of the q-Jays so much I tended to tolerate the microphonics.

Well not anymore, I think the Sleeks will be my primary source of portable sweetness for some time to come and am looking forward to the release of the wireless option.

In regard to the alternate cable possibilities, although I have not been able to find any images of the fittings itself I am wondering if the LiveWires cable would be compatible with the Sleeks as they promote the fact that the earpieces can be rotated 360° which would indicate that they have a similar fitting.

-------------------------------------------------------------
sigpic1539219gifwx9.jpg

I am glad to read of a direct comparison between q-JAYS and SA6. I still prefer my Livewires, Freq Show and SE530 in a custom shell more than universal fit IEMs, but my q-JAYS are one of my favorite universals, with the de-podded IM716 close behind more due to comfort than sound.

I may have to try the SA6 someday, but I am waiting for their custom fit model to become available. I emailed Sleek asking about those and haven't gotten a reply yet.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #979 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tadad1 - Is that you, Madman?

Yeah it's me, and thank you. The SA6's are pretty special and with the upcoming customs and wireless, Sleek Audio will be seeing more of my business for sure.

sigpic1539219gifwx9.jpg

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #980 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad to read of a direct comparison between q-JAYS and SA6. I still prefer my Livewires, Freq Show and SE530 in a custom shell more than universal fit IEMs, but my q-JAYS are one of my favorite universals, with the de-podded IM716 close behind more due to comfort than sound.

I may have to try the SA6 someday, but I am waiting for their custom fit model to become available. I emailed Sleek asking about those and haven't gotten a reply yet.

I was stoked with the q-Jays and to be honest I didn't think the Sleeks would stand up to them despite a couple of posts in this thread that suggested otherwise. If it weren't for my q-Jay cable woes I doubt I would have taken the plunge (like most I struggled with the idea that a single balanced armature could out perform doubles and\or triples) but I am glad I did.

As I already mentioned I will certainly be giving the customs a try when they are released.

Quote:

:ClieOS: LiveWires uses the kind of connector found on USB WiFi adapter, so it is not possible to fit them in.

Thats a shame.

sigpic1539219gifwx9.jpg

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #982 of 1,423
Welcome to another SA6 fan. I too wear the Sleeks down, and I use a shirt clip (it came with some other pair of phones) to completely eliminate any microphonics.

I do have a feeling that I may be taking the plunge for the wireless option when it hits the market, so it will become a moot point as long as the SQ remains via the wireless option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a long time Head-Fi lerker thank you to all those who contributed to this thread. After reading this entire thread twice (just in case I missed something) I ordered the Sleeks from SoundEarphones a week ago. They arrived yesterday morning and have been embedded in my skull since.

As my beloved 7 month old q-Jays had to be sent back for a warranty claim having developed cable fatigue at multiple points I figured that with the sheer volume of positive comments in the thread the Sleek's had to be worth a try.

Using my Cowon D2 as source straight out of the box I found the Sleeks to be comfortable and well balanced. After spending a few hours sampling a number of my favourite albums for now I seem to have settled on the Bass= which offers a little more warmth than the q-Jays which I find appealing and a little more punch from the bass when needed. The mids seem to remain strong and well defined and combined with the Treble++ I find I still retain most of the crisp precise highs that I like from the q-Jays.

To be honest sonically I am finding the SA6 to be overall more appealing and versatile than the q-Jays, comfort wise they are much of a muchness despite the difference is earpiece size between the two although I seem to be favouring using the q-Jay silicon tips which I have grown accustomed to over the SA6's bi-flanges as the material is a little denser which seems to tighten up the bass a little.

One major plus to the Sleeks over the q-Jays for me is the SA6 exhibit very little noticeable cable microphonics compared to the q-Jays which was always a bit of a trade off for me preferring to wear my cables straight down rather than looped behind the ear. As I liked the sound of the q-Jays so much I tended to tolerate the microphonics.

Well not anymore, I think the Sleeks will be my primary source of portable sweetness for some time to come and am looking forward to the release of the wireless option.

In regard to the alternate cable possibilities, although I have not been able to find any images of the fittings itself I am wondering if the LiveWires cable would be compatible with the Sleeks as they promote the fact that the earpieces can be rotated 360° which would indicate that they have a similar fitting.

sigpic1539219gifwx9.jpg

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #983 of 1,423
Theres been quite a few posts in this thread in quite a small space of time!
tongue.gif

Right, I can remove that wtb for a westone ES cable then. Not a problem atm as my SA6 cable is working fine so far, since I've had the replacement. I don't really need to be looking at alternatives just now, plus my bank account is recovering from a severe beating so shouldn't be spending unnecessary pennies!

The wireless adaptor is definitely something I'm gona consider- the fact that a method is being employed whereby sound quality is not lost is exciting- though, price is gona be a factor for me. Customs, well I don't currently have that kind of money to lavish but will be intrigued to see how they fair! If I was to delve into the custom market at any point soon I don't think I'd go for the sleeks as aren't they still the single armature from the SA6 but you specify what VQ configuration you want it to bear? I'd more likely stick with my SA6 and have a look at livewires, freq's or UE customs. Still, i'm really only at the start of my IEM and audiophile journey so I don't need to rush things as much as I might want to sample everything and/or get things as soon as they come out.
biggrin.gif

P.S.// I've been meaning to try that Clieos trick for a while now but need extra ports to tinker with. Have to order some.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #984 of 1,423
Jul 6, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #987 of 1,423
Hmm, after some careful listening, I'm noticing some differences in the performance between the two drivers that my SA6's came in. One seems a bit more full than the other, even with the same treble tube and bass ports. At first I thought it was my ears, but after switching, I noticed that the dominant driver followed to whichever cable end (L or R) I plugged it into.

I don't suppose this is something that Jason can address, is it? If so, I'll be either calling them, or sending Jason a PM.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #988 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, after some careful listening, I'm noticing some differences in the performance between the two drivers that my SA6's came in. One seems a bit more full than the other, even with the same treble tube and bass ports. At first I thought it was my ears, but after switching, I noticed that the dominant driver followed to whichever cable end (L or R) I plugged it into.

I don't suppose this is something that Jason can address, is it? If so, I'll be either calling them, or sending Jason a PM.

I have had a couple of issues with the cables, maybe is the cable...in any case the customr service of them is top notch, Jason is in the hospital IIRC, just email Mark instead...

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #989 of 1,423
If one earpiece is defective, you're certainly due for a replacement under warranty. It doesn't sound like a cable issue to me since, as you said, the problem earpiece remains problematic with both the L or the R cable ends (and the good earpiece remains good). Which treble tubes are you using? Is there a chance you've managed to clog one treble filter more than the other (with earwax, sweat, dust, etc.)? This won't necessarily be visible. I'd try keeping the earpieces where they are and swapping the treble ports and bass tubes to see if the situation reverses. If it doesn't, my guess is you're dealing with a defective driver.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #990 of 1,423
You know you are right, if hte defect follows the driver, is not the cable for sure, sorry I didn't read the whole poste carefully, and yes!!!! Thas is another cause, just check the tubes, maybe is one filter that is clogged, by sweat, water, wax etc...that happen ot me with the Altec Lansing a few times....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back