Sleek SA6
Jul 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #946 of 1,423
Well, not to hijack the thread, but I use the Zune for travel, as a home source through my home hifi, and as a place to store almost all my digital tracks (at 192k). The ZVM (which has true LOD) has only lossless tracks on it (building that library slowly). I gave the e270 to my wife, for her traveling. The Sony is my main walking around DAP (along with the new 4GB Clip). I will probably give the 1GB Clip away soon, since getting the 4GB. Also, someone gave me the ZVM (long story). I might sell it if I don't use it.

So no, I don't use them all a lot,but they all have their roles, so to speak.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #947 of 1,423
That was a very good comprehensive review tstarn06! You've inspired me to write a review too! I'm a believer in the sound, and while I don't think I've heard as many IEMs as you, I have had the E2c, E3c, E4c, ER4, q-Jays, and the Atrios before I got to the SA6 and I think I'm at the end of my IEM journey. And Amazon is much higher profile than Head-Fi, and I would like to help get the word out there!

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #948 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, not to hijack the thread, but I use the Zune for travel, as a home source through my home hifi, and as a place to store almost all my digital tracks (at 192k). The ZVM (which has true LOD) has only lossless tracks on it (building that library slowly). I gave the e270 to my wife, for her traveling. The Sony is my main walking around DAP (along with the new 4GB Clip). I will probably give the 1GB Clip away soon, since getting the 4GB. Also, someone gave me the ZVM (long story). I might sell it if I don't use it.

So no, I don't use them all a lot,but they all have their roles, so to speak.

Fair do's. I did imagine there would be a break down of purpose like that but was just curious! The more you have the more options you have I suppose
tongue.gif
. I'm all for that really; think it was just that critical parent thing assumed me for a second there, if you get me, the what do you need another one of those for, thats a waste of money etc.
redface.gif
Parents, they still get to you even at 21! Hijack over.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #949 of 1,423
I was doing some research on the SA6 phones and will probably buy them. The deal at SoundEarphones is pretty good. I do have a question. Hopefully my terminology isn't way off. It seems that the jacks at the end of the cables that go into the earpieces swivel so that you can wear the cables down or over the ear, correct? Are they allowed to freely swivel or do they lock into place? If they are allowed to freely swivel, does the swiveling cause any unwanted noise (sounds like static) while music is playing? I have experienced this with other headphones and it is really annoying. Part of my usage will be for walks during lunch so I want to make sure I am not going to be hearing a lot of static.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #950 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by hezagenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing some research on the SA6 phones and will probably buy them. The deal at SoundEarphones is pretty good. I do have a question. Hopefully my terminology isn't way off. It seems that the jacks at the end of the cables that go into the earpieces swivel so that you can wear the cables down or over the ear, correct? Are they allowed to freely swivel or do they lock into place? If they are allowed to freely swivel, does the swiveling cause any unwanted noise (sounds like static) while music is playing? I have experienced this with other headphones and it is really annoying. Part of my usage will be for walks during lunch so I want to make sure I am not going to be hearing a lot of static.

They swivel freely and cause no noise or static at all.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #953 of 1,423
Just got my replacement cable in, with a backup cable on the way (from TheMarchingMule), and finally, I was able to see what you guys were raving about!

Definitely lots of mid-range and treble sparkle, although even with the + bass ports, I'm feeling a need for more bass. Hopefully Sleek Audio releases some ++ bass ports. But instruments and vocals, I don't think I've ever heard them as clearly as I have with the SA6s.

I'm currently using a sound signature of - treble/+ bass, in an attempt to bring some more emphasis to the bass, but I may go back to = treble, to get more of that treble brilliance.

On the comfort side, these are the MOST comfortable IEMs I've ever worn, and certainly the easiest to insert (even better than the SE530s). I felt no need to yank up on my ears with one hand, when inserting the drivers, it as simple as plugging-in, and BOOM, seal!

The case, I'm not too thrilled about, since the drivers would never stay put while I was winding the cable, and it was a hassle to close afterwards, with the mini plug never sitting flush. I may just use a spare Ultimate Ears metal case I have lying around.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #954 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my replacement cable in, with a backup cable on the way (from TheMarchingMule), and finally, I was able to see what you guys were raving about!

Definitely lots of mid-range and treble sparkle, although even with the + bass ports, I'm feeling a need for more bass. Hopefully Sleek Audio releases some ++ bass ports. But instruments and vocals, I don't think I've ever heard them as clearly as I have with the SA6s.

I'm currently using a sound signature of - treble/+ bass, in an attempt to bring some more emphasis to the bass, but I may go back to = treble, to get more of that treble brilliance.

On the comfort side, these are the MOST comfortable IEMs I've ever worn, and certainly the easiest to insert (even better than the SE530s). I felt no need to yank up on my ears with one hand, when inserting the drivers, it as simple as plugging-in, and BOOM, seal!

The case, I'm not too thrilled about, since the drivers would never stay put while I was winding the cable, and it was a hassle to close afterwards, with the mini plug never sitting flush. I may just use a spare Ultimate Ears metal case I have lying around.

I think you should try the =/= combination. Makes the bass less deep, but it comes out with a bit more punch.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #955 of 1,423
Quote:

Try putting the SA6 into the case from the bottom up so you start wrapping around the spindle from the jack end first and moving up until you gauge you have enough unwound length left for the rest of cable with units attatched to feed up layers and rest in molds at top surface. That way its possible to use the case but its still a bit of a hassle and a time consumer. Also, though I had a faulty cable anyway with my first unit, I think I may have triggered the fault in it using the case with this method as you have to wrap it around the spindle quite tightly, likely producing a lot of tension and force on the cable and jack plug. I think thats the method to use though if you're gona use the case.

Great news that you're enjoying your SA6!
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #957 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should try the =/= combination. Makes the bass less deep, but it comes out with a bit more punch.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this to be true for me. When it was suggested a while back, I went from bass+/treble= to bass=/treble= for a few weeks but found I still wasn't satisfied. When I returned to the bass+/treble= combination, something immediately clicked for me; the bass felt more present with no loss in punch. That said, I'm really hoping for a bass++ port to debut at some point, as bass impact is the only thing I'm missing with these little guys (the Klipsch Image X10s were perfect in that regard, but a touch too sibilant to bear). I don't think Sleek ever indicated they were planning to produce a bass++ module, though, did they? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #958 of 1,423
No, they are not planning a Bass++ as far as I know.
You can try them with the bass ports removed. I used them like that for a while, with a little piece of foam stuffed in to keep the dust out. It adds bass, but I didn't like the quality too much. Maybe it sounds better to you.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #959 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I didn't find this to be true for me. When it was suggested a while back, I went from bass+/treble= to bass=/treble= for a few weeks but found I still wasn't satisfied. When I returned to the bass+/treble= combination, something immediately clicked for me; the bass felt more present with no loss in punch. That said, I'm really hoping for a bass++ port to debut at some point, as bass impact is the only thing I'm missing with these little guys (the Klipsch Image X10s were perfect in that regard, but a touch too sibilant to bear). I don't think Sleek ever indicated they were planning to produce a bass++ module, though, did they? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I experienced the exact same thing with the bass!! I liked the punch and definition from the =, went to the plus hoping for an accentuation and extrapolation of this bass sound, found the bass + to produce a greater quantity in bass and presence and feel of it but to lose the punch and definition, went back to = for ages, then tried bass + again a few weeks ago and its brilliant! As you say its as if you have suddenly synergised with its energy! And, like yourself, I was hoping for this, the bass + to just be added to somewhat, ala the bass ++ port, which I had in my head from somewhere, was planned. If what you say is true, even though sleek have a lot on their hands with the wireless and customs in development, its a personal disappointment for me
frown.gif
. Was really looking forward to that little bit extra of a bass injection!

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #960 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they are not planning a Bass++ as far as I know.
You can try them with the bass ports removed. I used them like that for a while, with a little piece of foam stuffed in to keep the dust out. It adds bass, but I didn't like the quality too much. Maybe it sounds better to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually gave them a brief listen without any bass ports many moons ago -- It wasn't to my tastes at all, as what little bass was added ended up being completely undefined and impactless. As Jason says, "there needs to be proper resistance to keep it from getting too loose."

I feel I should state that I'm still greatly enjoying the SA6s overall...they're just a bit short of perfect "getting completely lost in the music" immersion for me as is. If another universal IEM comes along managing to match the rest of the SA6's appeal while also adding in some of that missing bass impact, you can bet I'll be all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back