Sleek Audio SA6 and electronic music
Aug 25, 2008 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gtfool

New Head-Fier
Just received my sleeks last wednesday and have been listening to it pretty extensively these past few days (base+/treble=). My overall impression of this IEM has been quite positive - the sound stage and clarity for acoustic and vocal pieces have been eye opening, while its supposedly weaker bass quantity has been more than adequate for hip hop and most electronic music. Having said that, i cannot figure out why i am left feeling kind of "unsatisfied" whenever i listen to my preferred genre - electronic music. I wonder if it's because some of these songs have too many things going on and the drivers can't quite keep up, so the detail isn't quite there? I think because the SA6 made my acoustic/vocal/hip hop tracks sound so good, i'm kind of let down when i don't hear the same improvements for electronic music..

Any other SA6 owners or electronic music fans feel the same way? Am i asking/expecting too much?

From perusing the forum, i am left wondering if the Klipsch image x10 would be a better match. As such, i've ordered a pair and will try to audition it along side with the SA6 for a few weeks. In the mean time, any ideas/explanations/suggestions are appreciated.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 12
I actually noticed the same thing. Album's like Daft Punk's Alive sounded immeasurably better on my X70 desktop speakers, and since they were having trouble with that album, I couldn't understand why there was nothing wrong with the bass on Moby tracks (the problem seemed specific to certain types of electronic music, like break beats and house). I haven't tried the bass++ mod yet, but I suspect it won't help that much.

I was close to giving up on the SA6's for bass-heavy electronic music, and then I received my Fiio amp in the mail. Suddenly my Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers and Prodigy albums came to life. Combined with the SA6's strengths in the mids and sparkly treble, they've never sounded better.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree 100%. Funny actually because I also ended up ordering X10s. I will have them today. Interesting about the amp...although it doesnt really help me as I'm just looking for pure portability and dont want an amp to lug around.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey roxxor, did you mean that the Fiio amp helped with the bass or did it help tighten up the sound in general? I also ordered a Fiio amp too last week, so i'll see if that helps when it gets here.

mdork, do you mind sharing your impression once you spend some time with the x10's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Can one of you give me a good example of electronic music, please. Id like to take a listen myself but would need to go purchase some first :) I dont care if I end up not likeing it, but what are your top favorite or two.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can one of you give me a good example of electronic music, please. Id like to take a listen myself but would need to go purchase some first :) I dont care if I end up not likeing it, but what are your top favorite or two.

Electronic music is a pretty varied genre. I usually listen to a combination of trance, progressive house, and maybe some experimental.

Uplifting Trance / Vocal Trance - i'm grouping these together, since they're very similar in my mind, and together they are probably the most popular group of electronic music. A lot of these songs have an almost ethereal feel to the beat, with vocals acting as another instrument (the words/phrases they say don't always make sense). Each song usually build up to a crescendo and have a big "release" at some point - something that literally drives the listener/crowd wild during the build up. Popular DJs in this group includes Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk and Ferry Corsten. I personally don't like how "pop-ish" the vocal stuff have become, but i guess they're popular for a reason. They're music from the end of 90's / early 2000's are amazing though and definitely worth researching.

House / Progressive House - these tend to have more emphasis on stronger beats and bass, and little / no vocal. I would check out guys like James Holden, Dave Seaman, Crystal Method, and Hernan Cattaneo.

Other guys worth looking into: Nick Warren, John Digweed, and Luke Fair.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey, thats alot of info gtfool, Ill definately have fun looking all these guys and possibly gals up this evening and beyond. I do have a couple Crystal Method tracks on my player and enjoy them when they come up. I gotta check out the trance though, since you made it sound so intreging and all.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey roxxor, did you mean that the Fiio amp helped with the bass or did it help tighten up the sound in general? I also ordered a Fiio amp too last week, so i'll see if that helps when it gets here.

Seems to do both. Increases bass dramatically (especially the ultra-low end frequencies), tames the treble a bit, and widens the mids, resulting in a slightly larger soundstage, and slightly better instrument separation. With some music it's more noticeable than with others, and depends heavily on encoding quality. But it's like comparing night and day for bass heavy tracks.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said that, i cannot figure out why i am left feeling kind of "unsatisfied" whenever i listen to my preferred genre - electronic music. I wonder if it's because some of these songs have too many things going on and the drivers can't quite keep up, so the detail isn't quite there? I think because the SA6 made my acoustic/vocal/hip hop tracks sound so good, i'm kind of let down when i don't hear the same improvements for electronic music..

Any other SA6 owners or electronic music fans feel the same way? Am i asking/expecting too much?

Just my 2 cents worth... A while ago, I had the exact same observations as you now do (I also listen to a lot of electronic music, you can find more info about what I listen to with the last.fm link in my signature). After a few upgrades (ie, wallet crying, a few other pair of headphones later), I actually found out that all the SA6 needed for me to be "perfect" was a simple Treble Boost EQ from my iPod. I noticed, after using the Yuin PK1 for a while, that the SA6 were lacking in the high department compared to the Yuin (and the Triple Fi and the Grado Sr325i...).

Out of curiosity, I tried the Treble Boost EQ setting on my iPod, and lo and behold, way way way better sound.

I use the Bass + (modded) and the Treble ++ tips. I was heavily impressed by the Yuin PK1, but now, modded and EQed, the SA6 WoW me even more than when I got them. I feel I have the complete package now, deep bass, clear mids and highs and great soundstage.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 12
In addition to Trance, my little guy Wilfredo Jr loves Electric. Plug the headphones in, and he immediately starts to Bop. Head bobbin, a foot tappin and a big smile on his face. All this make me one proud Papa

And yes, I do own the Sleek SA6. One of the best IEM (along with my Livewires)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back