Slammed my parakeet in a doorway.
Dec 13, 2004 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Warning: This isn't a funny story.

Five minutes after my family left for the movies last night, I closed a bedroom door only to discover 'Sky", our cute family parakeet, had fallen asleep sitting on top of the door. I heard a 'thunk' and watched the solid pine and glass door spring back open, then a frantic flapping of wings. My heart sank. I found poor Sky flapping around the bedroom aimlessly, barely able to land upright. My desperate thoughts raced back and forth between "please be okay," and "if you must die, please let it be quick and painless." I tried to reach my wife on the cell phone, but heard it ringing next to me--she had forgotten it. So I was on my own to face the most sad and anxious 2.5 hours I've had in a long time.

I put Sky back in her cage--she was obviously in distress, ruffling her feathers and rubbing her beak on her perch. I inspected her closely--no apparent damage, at first. Then she began bleeding out of both nostrils. I was heartsick. I stood by and kept close watch on her, speaking softly to her and praying. Then she jumped down to the cage door as she is prone to do when she wants out of her cage. I lifted the door and she hopped out onto my finger and up on my shoulder. She then moved onto my collar and put her damaged face against my neck and closed her eyes. Poor Sky just wanted to be with me, her desperately sad accidental abuser.

After awhile, I decided I didn't want my family to return from the movie only to watch Sky pass away, and that Sky could use a quieter place than our home to recover, if indeed she could recover. I decided to take her to my in-laws to watch over her and then returned to break the terrible news to my wife and kids. Ughh. You have to understand that this little bird spends all her time on our shoulders and playing with us, she can speak her own name and mimics the telephone ring and lots of other sounds. The affection she shows is obvious.

Morning came and Sky was still alive. More good news followed: she was making normal sounds and hopping from perch to perch. But could she eat? Her face was badly bruised and there was dried blood everywhere. We decided to bring her home and hope for the best. As the day progressed, Sky showed an appetite and actually visited her seed feeder several times; eventually we heard the familiar sound of tiny seeds cracking and our spirits lifted. Then she chirped to us and spent a little time playing with her mirror and hanging bells. Lucky bird, it looks like she will survive.

Just thought I'd share this little tale of the near-death of a family pet. It's amazing how a creature that we see lying dead all over roadways and lawns every day in the wild can grip a family's emotions so completely for an entire day when it is a pet. This experience has given me a new appreciation for the simplest forms of life.

-coma

P.S. I attached a photo of Sky to a message down-thread.
P.P.S. Sky has had a vet consult--jump down to post #29 to read about it.

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 40
I am hoping that your pet makes a full and complete recovery. What a sad, but at the same time, kind of happy story. I am sure you felt awful for the accident, and I am thinking that by Sky perching on your shoulder, she was telling you that it wasn't your fault.

Keep us posted how her recovery progresses.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 40
Glad she seems ok, but you should get her to a vet to be on the safe side. No matter what, keep a close eye on her over the next week or so.

I've had pets all my life (dog, cat, ferret, parakeets, lizards, fish,turtle, gerbils, etc.), so I understand wholeheartedly how gut-wrenching and upsetting this incident must have been for you and your family. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 40
Actually it's good that she's recovering, or else PETA would be all over your ass.
tongue.gif
Joking. I'm glad that she's better, all forms of life should be valued like humans. We feel pain, think, and recover from accidents. Cheers!

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I am sure there is a lesson to be learned here.....oh yeah doors+parakeets don't mix.

Yes, of course. Tragically, my 8-year old had let her out and lost track of her as he prepared to go out with the family for the evening.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 40
I second a vet just to make sure.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Yes, of course. Tragically, my 8-year old had let her out and lost track of her as he prepared to go out with the family for the evening.

So how is she faring now? Better I hope.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
So how is she faring now? Better I hope.

She's sleeping a lot more than usual--to be expected I think when trying to heal. Other than that, and the obvious bruising around her beak and eye, she seems to be doing all right. Of course we are leaving her alone so as not to cause undue stress.

BTW, the other lesson reinforced for me in this little incident is how easy it is to affix blame on others when they suffer a preventable tragedy. A neighbor of ours had their daughter kidnapped several months ago (eventually returned, thankfully) and it it was so easy to determine how carelessness on the part of the family was to blame, and I admit to being very prone to this as well. You can be assured there will be a new "rule" around here regarding Sky being taken out of her cage, but it honestly never crossed my mind to look on top of the door before closing it as it is not a usual place for her to perch.

-coma

Dec 13, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 40
I know you didn't mean to do it, it's pretty clear that you're crushed about it. But I can't enable this when you coulda done better.

Why oh why didn't you rush to the vet?? You knew the bird was hurt. Could still be hurt. If you cared so much, why didn't you go to the vet? If your child fell from a high perch on a tree, and blood was coming out of her nostrils, would you wait? Animals rely on us. We're taking animals that would otherwise be able to fend for themselves and making them completely dependent on us. The least you can do is take it to the vet when you almost accidently kill it. I think you owe it that much.

If people aren't willing to give their pets this level of care, they shouldn't have pets.
mad.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 40
snip

Dec 13, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 40
Plainsong,

Good question. My honest reply is in two parts:

1) I had serious doubts a vet would be able to do anything for our bird’s tiny little noggin
2) It was not until the events of last night that I saw this little creature differently from the wild sparrows outside my window

I admit I have never viewed pets as family members, but as privileged wild things enjoying better accommodations and better access to food. This event has caused an evolution in that view. Sky will receive a consultation with the vet.

-coma

P.S. Here's a photo taken just a moment ago...

Sky_parakeet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back