Skyrim :O
Sep 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Alexmb

New Head-Fier
I have a feeling me and a lot of other people are going to disappear the following weekend this comes out and over winter break!
how does everyone else feel about this future release?

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 24
Heh yes you really need to take a vacation for these games :wink: Assassins Creed revelation coincide with it though which is a bit bad timing lol

I don´t know about Skyrim. I am sure it will be good but the consolisation hasn´t done the series good and dragon lore is really old these days. Bethesda had the option of doing an rpg of game of thrones but decided to keep their own lore. I will surely appreciate more appropriate animations. Also vikings with horns on the helmet in the 21st century???

I will surely get it though but Revelations first.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 24
Oh man, I can't wait! I've been sitting on the edge of my seat since they announced it. Although, I didn't enjoy Oblivion until after I went back through it a second time and played it with a bunch of mods. Usually it takes a good few months for any substantial mods to make an impact. I am almost considering waiting an extra few months to play to see how people react and see which mods come out.

Regardless, It is going to be an awesome game.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 24
I don't buy many games (last game I bought was Starcraft 2), and I will be buying this game. Let that speak for itself.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 24
I upgraded my system for it, so I hope it's good. I'll certainly be buying it. I expect that it will have:

Great graphics
A very open world
An interesting plot
Some strange defect in character appearance (in Morrowind, everyone was too gaunt; in Oblivion they were all too fat)
Not enough voice actors (although this one is supposed to be fixed)
A truly defective interaction system

And best of all, possibly not a voiced main character!

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
I upgraded my system for it, so I hope it's good. I'll certainly be buying it. I expect that it will have:

Great graphics
A very open world
An interesting plot
Some strange defect in character appearance (in Morrowind, everyone was too gaunt; in Oblivion they were all too fat)
Not enough voice actors (although this one is supposed to be fixed)
A truly defective interaction system

And best of all, possibly not a voiced main character!

Great graphics are a given.
Open world is a given.
There won't be an interesting plot. That's just not Bethesda's strong suit. Not even Morrowind had an interesting plot, but it was helped by all the lore behind it.
70+ voice actors this time around, compared to Oblivion's 14.
The interaction system looks much improved. No more persuasion wheel 
wink.gif

No voice for the main character, but there are the dragon shouts.

I've been following the game for a few months now. Oblivion and Morrowind are two of my favorite games. I've put a solid 1,000 hours into modded Oblivion. I'm not happy with all the changes in Skyrim, like removal of birthsigns, greaves, and apparently short swords, but that's all stuff mods might be able to bring back. All the improvements to graphics, effects, spells, and combat aren't moddable, so in the end a modded Skyrim's almost guaranteed to be better than a modded Oblivion.

I hope Gamestop still has that premium map preorder thing. I haven't ordered yet.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm a little disappointed about some of the things they have removed, but I suppose that a modder should be able to add them back in eventually. I trust Bethesda is making every effort to introduce just the right amount of complexity to make the game both fun and intriguing. We can be sure that the vanilla Skyrim will be insufficient for the more hardcore gamers who love extreme details. Yet, we can also be sure that the mod community will be there to fill that need.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 24
Main story has been pretty much blah in all bethesda titles but they have always had great stories in side missions which has been better then just anything else. Biowares games is the polar opposite here. Great main story but stray outside of it yuck. Kotor had some that was worth anything, Mass Effect series hasn´t. Exploration has always been rewarded in Bethesdas titles. That and the freedom is what I enjoy most. non linear gameplay and good story telling doesn´t equate easilly.

I spent many hours reading every book I could find in Morrowind as well. Lots of interest stuff there.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Main story has been pretty much blah in all bethesda titles but they have always had great stories in side missions which has been better then just anything else. Biowares games is the polar opposite here. Great main story but stray outside of it yuck. Kotor had some that was worth anything, Mass Effect series hasn´t. Exploration has always been rewarded in Bethesdas titles. That and the freedom is what I enjoy most. non linear gameplay and good story telling doesn´t equate easilly.

I spent many hours reading every book I could find in Morrowind as well. Lots of interest stuff there.

Yeah, I never explored the lore in Morrowind or Oblivion. This time, though, I am going to be sure and read all of the books and learn about the lore. More immersion that way.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 24
Looking forward to putting aside other rpgs and get totally absorbed into the world of SKYRIM when it comes out. Whenever Bethesda comes out with a new rpg its pretty much all i play eventually going back to the previous rpgs in the series six or so months later. Will be interesting to see if i can put FALLOUT 3 down considering its one of the best rpgs since TES 2 DAGGERFALL i have played but in a sci-fi b-movie type of setting.

Good to see all the changes in SKYRIM especially the one piece clothing like in FALLOUT 3 which has allowed them to have more variety.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 24
I'll probably get a decent amount of playing in during winter break. Unfortunately with school and work I have a pretty busy schedule and not as much time as i'd like to play videogames,etc..

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 24
Meh.

I was excited for Skyrim when it was first announced, but that excitement has constantly been dropping. Don't get me wrong, I think it will still be a great game, but I will always see it as a missed opportunity for Bethesda to use a different engine. By that, I mean that when you look at Skyrims graphics and gameplay you might think, "wow, those look great!" But whenever I see them, I see all of the flaws in DX9, like 2D leaves and the fact that the graphics have only increased a little when comparing to Fallout 3. However, I do think it will be better than Oblivion because Bethesda said they were making it with Morrowind in-mind (Morrowind was far superior to Oblivion in every way.) Hopefully there will be a mod out that will get rid of the gimmicky "dragon shouts"... I literally cringed when Bethesda announced they were adding that in.

Oh, and I forgot to add that it looks significantly more consolised and simplified compared to Oblivion and Morrowind...

And to the posters who were saying that Bioware craft great story-lines, look at DA2. I don't think I have to say anything more. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Meh.

I was excited for Skyrim when it was first announced, but that excitement has constantly been dropping. Don't get me wrong, I think it will still be a great game, but I will always see it as a missed opportunity for Bethesda to use a different engine. By that, I mean that when you look at Skyrims graphics and gameplay you might think, "wow, those look great!" But whenever I see them, I see all of the flaws in DX9, like 2D leaves and the fact that the graphics have only increased a little when comparing to Fallout 3. However, I do think it will be better than Oblivion because Bethesda said they were making it with Morrowind in-mind (Morrowind was far superior to Oblivion in every way.) Hopefully there will be a mod out that will get rid of the gimmicky "dragon shouts"... I literally cringed when Bethesda announced they were adding that in.

Oh, and I forgot to add that it looks significantly more consolised and simplified compared to Oblivion and Morrowind...

And to the posters who were saying that Bioware craft great story-lines, look at DA2. I don't think I have to say anything more. 

They are using a different engine.

2D leaves aren't a problem of DX9. They're a problem of the polygon system every game uses. In a game as massive as Skyrim, and one that has to run on Xbox 360, they're a necessity. If you don't like 2D leaves, keep your fingers crossed that Euclideon is successful.

Have you seen gameplay of the dragon shouts? They're far from gimmicks. They're very impressive, and offer a lot of tactical gameplay to combat.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 24
*sigh* What I meant was the engine that they're using doesn't look very different, if at all, from the old one.

Pfft, I'm still going to have to disagree with you on the dragon shouts. From what I've seen, which is every gameplay footage that has been released, it looks very gimmicky. I think it's the way you get them that I find gimmicky, as well as the way they're used. 

Tho, I also think the character being "dovakin" or whatever is also stupid :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back