Franken modder
May 2, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 7
What will he use those in ?
smily_headphones1.gif

(Skylab, what a weekend you picked to go AWOL
tongue.gif
)

May 2, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I have around 200 maybe more of 6X4 and to be honest I don't think the Mullards (I have about 25 nos) are all that great. The best 6X4 are some very uncommon RCA biplates, not the normal crossed plates and better and best is the 1955-59 Tungsol square getter with getter flashing down to about half of the tube. They hold up very well and produce the best rectified AC, imo and that of many others. I also have some real GEC's and they are ok but don't live up to the hype but I will gladly, some day, allow someone to buy them for the big price. The ones I have are the U709 in sealed plastic bags with the curve and spec sheet with them, oh wait, those are the Gold Lion.

May 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 7
last auction on gold lion ended on about 100 $ ( just of the top of my head ) - no thanks !!!!

May 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 7
The U709 used to go for more than that. I have a few in nice boxes and all sealed and one that I tried. They are ok but nothing special but people will pay the price. Tungsol in the type mentioned is better an much less.

May 2, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Those ended up selling for quite a bit!!!

I am using Sylvania black-plate 6X4's. They sound good. The Sweet2 has actually continued to open up - nice sounding little amp.

May 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 7
They have always sold for a lot but I don't know why. I also have some Valvo 6X4 in nos and they are nice but again I prefer the Tungsol. The Sylvania are nice but they can't take as much current draw even though they are rated the same as any 6X4 but they are fine 6X4's. Some of the best are also the Japanese 6X4's. I bought a whole snoot full a few years ago from a European dealer who could barely give them away. What a mistake for many people who passed them up. They are strong and hold up great to abuse (strong current draw on a power up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back