Skylab is rubbing off on me.
Jan 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gonz

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe that didn't sound right
blink.gif

Well, I did it now...
eggosmile.gif

When I first came here I was tempted by the Audio Technica amp at Audio Cubes. There were never very many comments/reviews about the AT stuff, so I kinda put it out of my mind. Well, having the bug to upgrade closed cans... the ATH-A900s, being on sale, and having decent comments here... I decided to go for it.

That made me revisit the AT amps. The AT-HA25D is a very interesting unit, especially for the price. It looks good, has an optical input, and would match my new cans... so I went for it.

I certainly don't need another amp, but the DAC appeals to me. In the worst case scenario, I have an extra PC that it would be ideal with, and a good upgrade for.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to the C&C Box, and trying to figure out how to review such a unit. I'm not used to the type of switches on it, and I'm not sure how to describe them either. Burning in is making a big difference on this one, it actually went sour on me! That happened almost right away, but faded soon after, and the amp is developing a real nice sound. Comparing with the Xtra X1 might prove difficult, they're both pretty strong competitors.

I guess the only way to narrow down what you like, and the only way to remove the curiosity of "whats that one sound like?"... is to just go for it. I need to develop some self control.

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 4
Looks like an interesting amp. The functions and price range remind me of the HR bithead, I wonder how they would stack up against one another other. The AT certainly looks good for the price. Will it be the next FOTM?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 4
jmmtn4aj, you can be sure that I will
smily_headphones1.gif

Dept_of_Alchemy, I seriously doubt it'll be a FOTM. The headamps from AT have been around a long time, at least two years, and they've not caught on here. It's too commercial I think. I mean pricewise, it almost seems like a no-brainer! Its a sweet deal, if it sounds good ~ and now I'll know, one way or another.

As for comparing to the HR BH, not much chance of that happening in this house, my budget is just plain busted. But for sure I'd be interested.

I was reading here about the much more expensive AT stuff, and the synergies between amp and phones... that got me interested in giving the setup a shot. Plus I've never really played with an external DAC for comp/phones use.

If I ever go from a $500 setup to a $5000 setup, it'll definitely be nice to know which manufacturer tends to have a sound I prefer... so if nothing else, this is just another stepping stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back