Skullcandy
Apr 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Fiends

New Head-Fier
Hey, I recently bought some G.I. Skullcandy headphones and I wasn't 100% sure whether or not Skullcandy are all that great. There is a small selection in my town for anything and I had to go with what I heard from a couple people that were good headphones. Since people in this forum are probably well educated on headphones more than myself or my friends I was wondering what is the word on Skullcandy brand headphones?

Second, I was wondering whether or not this would be a problem with the headphones or with my audio card. Some bass heavy songs and some that just have regular bass in the background sometimes create a sort of rumble sound, on some songs its very noticeable and I was wondering what would cause this problem.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 39
No.

Speaking from experience.

If you like bass, go with DT770s, I guess. I'd suggest Ultrasones, but that would be a blind suggestion.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 39
Welcome to Head-fi, have you heard the one about your wallet yet? People here REALLY dislike Skullcandy for the most part. There are many other headphones that give much better quality for the cost, although if you're going for a tank pattern headphone, SC is where to look. If you would like suggestions for other headphones, there are many people here who would be happy to help, just tell up what your music preferences are, what your budget is, whether you need them to isolate or not, and anything else you think we should know. Sound is subjective, but I'd be willing to bet quite a lot of $ that you'd end up with something better than the SC. If you can still return them, I recommend you do it while you can so you can have a bit more moola to spend on whatever your new setup will be!

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 39
Skullcandy is overpriced and bad. That is all you are going to get from this discussion. You spent too much money on a crappy pair of IEMs. Return them, and buy some from a real manufacturer (Nuforce, Shure, etc.). Never buy Skullcandy again.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skullcandy is overpriced and bad. That is all you are going to get from this discussion. You spent too much money on a crappy pair of IEMs. Return them, and buy some from a real manufacturer (Nuforce, Shure, etc.). Never buy Skullcandy again.

Actually, I've heard that their cheaper IEM's are a decent value.

In any case, he didn't buy IEM's. I would certainly return those Skullcandy's. Get some Denon D1001's or some such.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 39
Hi Fiends. Skullcandy headphones are not very well respected here at all. I have never heard them but by just looking at the basic specs you can see that they do not have the frequency response of better headphones. I do not believe they can handle the very low or very high frequencies. What you're probably hearing is the headphone struggling to go as low as the music and it is probably distorting. Also, depending on what soundcard you have and what type of music files you're using, that may also be the source of some clipping or distortion. Plus if you're using poorly encoded MP3s the sound will not be very dynamic and will sound compressed, with unusual artifacts, especially in the frequency extremes.

The usual greeting around here is "Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet." Head-Fiers are very particular. They frown upon anything that is more about hype than sound. This included Skullcandy and *gasp* Bose, especially.

If you want to get into some decent headphone equipment, we can make some recommondations for you. Or spend a few days reading the forums. You'll get an idea of what we think is good around here.

Or you may just want to run and hide. Even though we can make some recommendations for any budget, if you're like most of us, your budget will eventually go out the window.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're like most of us, your budget will eventually go out the window.

Isn't that just the sad truth...
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 39
Thanks for all the replies. The type of music I like is Metal/Progressive Rock and some others. Usually pretty guitar and drum heavy but not death or anything. Any good suggestions would be helpful, I am not sure I can take the headphones back and I don't have anything else to use until I can purchase some nicer ones.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 39
earclip--koss ksc75
IEM-----any denon iem(c252,c300,c700)
fullsize--RX700---bassy not-so-balanced=== i will buy this if i were you, and wait for bestbuy , don't pay more than 40 for it
RX900---better balance

and most of all, run away from here before you have a chance to join us~^_^(just kidding)

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 39
Bah, at least you're doing the research, many never will. Welcome to Head-Fi. There are plenty of far superior options to Skullcandy for the same price or less. If you are into bassy headphones, maybe look at the Koss PortaPros, or if you can spend a bit more, Denon D1001s (I hear DT770-80s also fit this description). Also check the For Sale forum here, it's a great way to get good headphones cheap.

I recommend you read the sticky for beginners that Boomana posted and search for the numerous "What headphones should I buy?" threads that have popped up over time. You should be able to find headphones that fit your needs and budget a lot better than Skullcandies.

If you can return them, that's perfect. If not, you may want to look into getting some new headphones anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

My friend has D1001s and loves them. He listens to a lot of progressive rock/metal (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Deal Soul Tribe, Tool, etc.). I've also listened a lot to some Grados and my own DT770 '05s, and what I can tell you is that although at the $100-200 mark the headphones can all sound very different, one isn't necessarily better than another for one genre, it all depends on what you like. I listen to a lot of rock/metal but I don't like Grados much for that, despite the fact that many swear by them as the ultimate rock 'phones.

If you can go to any meets to try stuff or try things out locally at a Guitar Center or something similar, you might be able to get a better sense of what you like and what suits you so that you can make purchases that suit your tastes.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can return them, that's perfect. If not...

Mod them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back